Venn Crescent just south of Eglinton near Keele
|Changed Municipality||1998 Toronto from York|
|• MP||Mike Sullivan (York South—Weston)|
|• MPP||Laura Albanese (York South—Weston)|
|• Councillor||Frank Di Giorgio (Ward 12 York South—Weston)|
Silverthorn is a working class area in the York district of the city of Toronto, Canada. It was part of the former City of York before the amalgamation of Toronto in 1998. The approximate boundaries are the GO Transit Barrie line railway tracks to the east, Black Creek Drive and the CP railway line to the west and the former boundaries of the City of York to the north and south. The neighbourhood west of Black Creek Drive is known as Keelesdale. For demographic purposes, the city breaks the area down into two neighbourhoods Keelesdale-Eglinton West, south of Eglinton, and Beechborough-Greenbrook north of Eglinton.
Silverthorn contained the central commercial district for the former City of York along Eglinton Avenue where the York Civic Centre, which housed York's municipal offices, is located. The area has a large number of Roman Catholics many of whom are Italian and Portuguese by descent. However, Silverthorn is very diverse and includes many Baptists, Buddhists and other Christians. Latin Americans, Blacks and Southeast Asians are also well represented in this area (source: Statistics Canada 2001).
North of Eglinton nearly two-thirds of the Silverthorn's population resides in rental units, many of them in low-rise apartment buildings. South of Eglinton the area retains its working class character, though the majority of residents are owners (almost 60%). Although the houses are modest they are also single detached and owned. There is an above average contingency of Romance language speakers including Portuguese, Italian and Spanish. This area contains the western end of Eglinton West.
The hilly terrain of the Silverthorn is comparable to nearby areas but distinguishable compared with the city, which in general slopes south to the lake. The winding and one-way streets make through traffic a non-factor for ball playing.
- Charles E. Webster Junior Public School — A public elementary school at 1900 Keele Street.
- Kane Senior Public School — A middle school at 300 Kane Ave.; Mid - 90's renamed Kane Middle School; September, 2011 renamed Silverthorn Community School
- Silverthorn Junior Public School - closed June, 2011
- Keelesdale Junior Public School
- York Memorial Collegiate Institute
- George Harvey Collegiate Institute
- Toronto Neighbourhoods Guide - Silverthorn
- Keelesdale-Eglinton West neighbourhood profile
- City of Toronto - Beechborough-Greenbrook Neighbourhood Profile