Smith River Rancheria
|1,442 enrolled members
285 enrolled (1995)
|Regions with significant populations|
|United States ( California)|
|Related ethnic groups|
|other Tolowa people, Tututni and Chetco peoples|
The Smith River Rancheria is a federally recognized tribe of Tolowa people in Del Norte County, California. They are Athabascan people, distantly related to Athabascans of eastern Alaska and western Canada, as well as Apache and Navajo peoples.
The Smith River Rancheria is headquartered in Smith River, California. They are governed by a democratically elected, seven-member tribal council. Their current tribal administration is as follows:
- Chairperson: Kara Miller
- Vice Chairperson: Denise Padgette
- Secretary: Loren Bommelyn
- Treasurer: Joel Bravo
- Councilmember: Lenora Hall
- Councilmember: Dr. Joseph Giovannetti
- Councilmember: Marian Lopez.
The Smith River Rancheria is a 186-acre federal Indian reservation in Del Norte County, north of Crescent City. The Rancheria was established in 1906 and used to be only 30-acres large. The nearest community is Smith River, while the nearest incorporated city is Brookings, Oregon, about 10 miles to the north.
The Smith River tribe owns and operated the Lucky 7 Casino in Smith River, California.
Notable Smith River Rancheria tribal members
- Eunice Bommelyn, Tolowa language proponent, cultural advocate, genealogist, and historian.
- Loren Me’-lash-ne Bommelyn, language educator, traditionalist, basket weaver
- "About Smith River Rancheria." Smith River Rancheria. Retrieved 4 June 2012
- "Tolowa Indians." SDSU: California Indians and Their Reservations. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- Pritzker 147
- "Smith River Rancheria." SDSU: California Indians and Their Reservations. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- "Tribal Council." Smith River Rancheria. 2012. 4 June 2012.
- Pritzker 148
- "California Casinos - Indian Casinos by Tribe." 500 Nations. Retrieved 4 June 2012.
- Spencer, Adam (2012-04-28). "Tolowa mourn loss of a leader: Eunice Bommelyn". Del Norte Triplicate. Retrieved 2012-09-09.