Smoked egg is a food that involves the smoking of eggs and fish eggs. Smoked eggs can be prepared with hard boiled eggs that are then smoked, or by smoking uncooked eggs in their shells. Additionally, smoked egg has been defined as a type of hors d'oeuvre of hard boiled eggs that are shelled, marinated and then smoked.
Smoked eggs can be made into smoked egg pâté, which is a dish in Jewish cuisine. Additional dishes and foods prepared from smoked eggs are egg salad, vinaigrette dressing and dips Some versions of niçoise salad use a smoked egg foam as an ingredient. Purées prepared with smoked egg have been used to enhance the flavor of various dishes.
Some caviars that are sometimes smoked include cod roe, which is common in Norway, mullet roe and sturgeon roe. Another product is smoked-egg liquor, which can be derived from raw frozen salmon roe.
In Chinese cuisine
In China, smoked egg sausages have been developed.
Tea-smoked eggs are a type that are produced and consumed in China and other areas of the world. This food does not involve smoking. Rather, hard boiled eggs are cracked and cooked in various teas and spices.
- New China Quarterly
- Marine and Freshwater Products Handbook. p. 183.
- Home Book of Smoke Cooking: Meat, Fish and Game - Jack Sleight, Raymond Hull. p. 145.
- Don Holm's Book of Food Drying, Pickling and Smoke Curing - Don Holm, Myrtle Holm. p. 126.
- Fire It Up: 400 Recipes for Grilling Everything - David Joachim, Andrew Schloss. p. 367.
- Dictionary of Food: International Food and Cooking Terms from A to Z - Charles Sinclair. p. 1589.
- Raichlen 2010, p. 2.
- Raichlen 2010, pp. 13-14.
- The Southern Food Truck Cookbook: Discover the South's Best Food on Four Wheels - Heather Donahoe. p. 131.
- The Lee Bros. Charleston Kitchen - Matt Lee, Ted Lee. p. 60.
- Pudlo Paris 2007-2008: A Restaurant Guide - Gilles Pudlowski. p. 374.
- American Egg and Poultry Review
- The Man Who Ate the World: In Search of the Perfect Dinner - Jay Rayner - Google Boeken
- Casa Rubia, Trinity Groves’ most highly anticipated restaurant, debuts | Dallas Morning News
- Belly & Trumpet Explores the Pacific Northwest With an Unforgettable Dinner Experience | SideDish
- Marine and Freshwater Products Handbook. pp. 415-416.
- Commercial Fisheries Review. Volume 17. Quote: "The recovery of a strained smoked-egg liquor from raw frozen salmon eggs averaged 60 percent. This is the basic formula: 4.5 lb. (2,080 g.) smoked-egg liquor 0.23 lb. (104 g. or 5% by weight) salt 3 tsp. garlic salt 1 tsp. pepper sauce The salt..."
- Agriculture Annual Report. Council of Agriculture (China). 1997.
- COA General Report. Council of Agriculture (China). Issues 10-11. 1994.
- Chinese Education and Society: A Journal of Translations
- The Kinfolk Table. p. 302.
- Steven Raichlen (2010). Planet Barbecue!: 309 Recipes, 60 Countries. Workman Publishing. ISBN 0761148019
- Israeli smoked egg pate. Primal Grill with Steve Raichlen.