Somewhere Else (Toby Keith song)
|Single by Toby Keith|
|from the album Bullets in the Gun|
|Released||February 28, 2011|
|Label||Show Dog-Universal Music|
|Toby Keith singles chronology|
"Somewhere Else" is a song co-written and recorded by American country music singer Toby Keith. It was released in February 2011 as the third and final single from the album Bullets in the Gun. Keith wrote the song with Bobby Pinson.
The song describes a downbeat character who struggles to come to terms with the collapse of a relationship. Since home is where the heartache is coming from, he decides to withstand the barrage of memories at a bar.
Gary Graff of Billboard wrote that the song was "shoot-from-the- hip cleverness". The song got a "thumbs up" from Blake Boldt of The 9513, whose review praised the production for "bel[ying] the narrator’s disappointment" and called the song "brooding", also saying that it proved that Keith "has quite a few creative tricks left up his sleeve". Kevin John Coyne of Country Universe gave the song a B rating, saying that "does breakup about as good as anybody" and that he doesn't believe Keith is "capable of turning in a weak vocal performance." Bobby Peacock of Roughstock gave the song a 3.5/5 rating, saying that the production is "looser and funkier" than on Keith's other songs. He goes on to say that it "contrasts with the more downbeat lyrics of a fairly standard broken-heart song."
Jessica Phillips of Country Weekly described the song less favorably, saying that she considered Keith "more authentic" on the album's title track than on "Somewhere Else". Writing for the Los Angeles Times, Randy Lewis compared it to "Is That All You Got" and "In a Couple of Days", saying that the songs "have a few nice writerly details in their romance-gone-bad setups, but they don't offer much wisdom." 
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||12|
|US Billboard Hot 100||80|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||62|
- Boldt, Blake (7 March 2011). "Toby Keith — "Somewhere Else"". The 9513. Retrieved 31 March 2011.
- Graff, Gary (2010-10-08), Toby Keith, "Bullets In The Gun", Billboard, retrieved 2010-11-09
- John Coyne, Kevin (2011-02-18). "Toby Keith - Somewhere Else". Country Universe. Retrieved 2011-04-01.
- Peacock, Bobby (2011-03-10). "Toby Keith - Somewhere Else". Roughstock. Retrieved 2011-04-01.
- Phillips, Jessica (2010-09-24). "Bullets in the Gun : Toby Keith - Reviews - Country Weekly Magazine". Country Weekly. Retrieved 2010-10-01.
- Lewis, Randy (2010-10-05). "Album review: Toby Keith's 'Bullets in the Gun'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-10-06.
- "Toby Keith Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Toby Keith.
- "Toby Keith Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Toby Keith.
- "Best of 2011: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved December 10, 2011.