Spencer Compton, 7th Marquess of Northampton
|The Most Honourable
The Marquess of Northampton
Coat of Arms of the Marquess of Northampton
|Born||Spencer Douglas David Compton
2 April 1946
|Known for||Pro Grand Master of the United Grand Lodge of England|
|Title||7th Marquess of Northampton|
|Predecessor||6th Marquess of Northampton|
Baroness Henriette Bentinck van Schoonheten (m. 1967–73)
Lady Lara Katrina Compton (b. 26 April 1968)
Spencer "Spenny" Douglas David Compton, 7th Marquess of Northampton (born 2 April 1946) is a British peer.
He is the son of the Most Hon. William Compton, 6th Marquess of Northampton and Virginia Lucie Compton, née Heaton.
He was listed as having properties worth £120 million in the 2011 Estates Gazette Rich List. In November 1993, the Appellate Division of the New York State Supreme Court confirmed his claim to the ownership of the Sevso Treasure, a hoard of late Roman Empire silver.
Marriages and issue
Lord Northampton has been married six times. He has four children and five grandchildren.
1) Baroness Henriette Luisa Bentinck (b. in London, 1949–2010), the daughter of Baron Adolph Bentinck and Baroness Gabrielle Thyssen-Bornemisza de Kászon. She married Lord Northampton in 1967 and divorced him in 1973. She has since been married to Mr. Richard Thompson and Mr. Serge Boissevain. This first marriage produced two children:
- Lady Lara Katrina Compton, who uses her maiden name (b. 26 April 1968) who has been married twice, firstly in 1994 (div 1996) to Peter A. Falter, no issue. She married secondly 1999 (divorced circa 2005 after six years) to Junaid Jan by whom she had 2 sons, Pasha Gabriel Jan (b. 1999) and Gabriel Raphael Jan (b. 2001). She has a 3rd son, Charlie de Candole (b. 2005), by property developer Andrew de Candole.
- Daniel Bingham Compton, Earl Compton, known as Danny Compton (b. 16 January 1973), married Miss Elizabeth Lucy Cardozo, and has two daughters; Lady Anastasia Henrietta Grace Compton (b. 2002) and Lady Theodora Virginia Lucy Compton (b. 2003).
2) Miss Annette Mary Smallwood in 1974. They divorced in 1977. She later married and divorced the Hon. Simon Howard of Henderskelfe, with no issue from either marriage.
3) Miss Rosemary Ashley Morritt Hancock in 1977. They divorced in 1983. They had one daughter:
- Lady Emily Rose Compton (b. 1980), socialite, working at SCM Private. She married Edward M. J. Horner, son of Mr & Mrs Brian Horner, of Warwick on 29 September 2012.
4) Miss Ellen Erhardt, former wife of Michael Pearson, 4th Viscount Cowdray, on 12 January 1985; they were divorced in 1988. They had one child:
5) Miss Pamela Martina Raphaela Haworth in 1990. They were divorced in 2013.
6) Miss Tracy Goodman on 4 September 2013.
|Ancestors of Spencer Compton, 7th Marquess of Northampton|
The heir apparent to the marquessate and its subsidiary titles is Northampton's only son Daniel, Earl Compton (b. 1973). Since he has, so far, fathered no sons of his own, the heir apparent's heir presumptive is his first cousin James William Compton (b. 1974), son of the late Lord William James Bingham Compton (1947–2007), who has two daughters by his wife Natasha Somers (married 2000). The next heir is Alwyne Compton (b. 1919), the most senior grandson of Lord Alwyne Frederick Compton (1855–1911), the third son of the 4th Marquess; he is childless. His brother the late Robert "Robin" Compton (1922-2009) left two sons, both of whom have two sons of their own.
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
|Marquess of Northampton
1978 – present
Daniel Compton, Earl Compton
|Orders of precedence in the United Kingdom|
The Most Hon. The Marquess
The Most Hon. The Marquess of Northampton
The Most Hon. The Marquess
- Rich List 2011, Estates Gazette, 12 November 2011
- Republic of Croatia, et al. v. Trustee of the Marquess of Northampton 1987 Settlement, 203 A.D.2d 167, 610 N.Y.S.2d 263 (1994); Republic of Croatia, et al. v. Trustee of the Marquess of Northampton 1987 Settlement, 232 A.D.2d 616, 648 N.Y.S.2d 25 (1st Dep't 1996).
- "Tragic death of heiress reveals Bentinck family feud". Daily Mail (London).
- "Battle of the Tatler Brides". Daily Mail (London). Retrieved 9 May 2014.
- Daily Mail article,
- "Lord Northampton pays fifth wife £17MILLION in divorce settlement". Daily Mail (London). 20 January 2013.