|Alma mater||Indian Institute of Technology Madras
|Occupation||Founder and CEO of Zoho Corporation|
Vembu holds a PhD. in Electrical Engineering from Princeton University. He has been in the news not only for creating one of the first online (Cloud Computing) office suites as a company, but also for the unique staffing practices of Zoho which hires economically disadvantaged high school graduates and puts them through two years of education with a strong focus on engineering / software. Such "Zoho University" graduates now make up 10% of their workforce. Despite increasing growth and market presence, Vembu has stated that he wants Zoho to stay independent.
A commentary featured by Forbes in 2008 on Vembu focuses on the boot-strapped model which he stuck to while building AdventNet. Reportedly, the adherence to this model had no ill effects on its performance and profitability. Also high-lighted is his decision to remain independent in spite of aggressive bidding by Marc Benioff, CEO of enterprise cloud computing company, Salesforce.com.
- "AdventNet Inc is now ZOHO Corporation". Zoho Blogs. 27 May 2009.
- "Happily Bootstrapping: Zoho CEO Sridhar Vembu (Part 1)". Sridhar Vembu interview. 10 Jul 2007.
- "Working Webware: Zoho takes on Microsoft, Google". Youtube.
- "Capitalizing on Cloud Computing". Foxbusiness.com.
- "OreillyMedia: Sridhar Vembu of Zoho talks about training and hiring young professionals whom others disregard". Youtube.
- "Zoho CEO Sridhar Vembu: Aiming for 'contextual super apps'". zdnet.com.
- "The Smartest Unknown Indian Entrepreneur". Forbes:Sramana Mitra of Forbes queries Sridhar Vembu on its Unique Hiring Practices and Track record of Boot Strapping Businesses. 22 February 2008.