Swedish Royal Family
|Swedish Royal Family|
The Swedish Royal Family (Swedish: Kungafamiljen) since 1818 has consisted of a number of persons in the Swedish Royal House of Bernadotte, closely related to the King of Sweden. Today those who are recognized by the government are entitled to royal titles and style (manner of address), and perform official engagements and ceremonial duties of state. The extended family of the King (Swedish: kungliga familjen) consists of other close relatives who are not royal and thus do not represent the country officially.
A Swedish royal family has been able to be identified as existent from as early as the 10th century A.D., with more precise detail added during the two or three centuries that followed. Historically confirmed monarchs are listed officially by the Swedish Royal Court.
Until the 1620s Swedish provinces were granted as territorial appanages to royal princes which, as dukes thereof, they governed semi-autonomously. Since then, these provincial dukedoms have existed in the royal family only nominally, albeit each prince and princess traditionally maintains a special public connection to, and sometimes a secondary residence in, "his or her duchy".
The son of a Swedish king has usually held the princely title as a royal dynast (such as HRH Prince Bertil of Sweden, Duke of Halland), but on a rare occasion also as a rank of nobility (such as Fursten Prince Frederick William of Hessenstein), or as a courtesy title for an ex-dynast (such as Prins Oscar Bernadotte).
According to the Swedish Government, the Royal Family includes the following:
- TM King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia
The members of the Swedish Royal Court (Kungliga Huset) are the Royal Family (see above) as well as:
- Princess Margaretha, Mrs. Ambler (the King's widowed oldest sister)
- Princess Désirée, Baroness Silfverschiöld (the King's third sister), married to Baron Niclas Silfverschiöld
- Princess Christina, Mrs. Magnuson (the King's youngest sister), married to Tord Magnuson
- Countess Marianne Bernadotte of Wisborg (the King's aunt, widow of Count Sigvard Bernadotte)
- Countess Gunnila Bernadotte of Wisborg (the King's aunt, widow of Count Carl Johan Bernadotte)
- Princess Kristine Bernadotte (widow of the King's grandfather's cousin, Prince Carl Bernadotte)