Tampa Bay Derby Darlins
||This article needs more links to other articles to help integrate it into the encyclopedia. (October 2012)|
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (October 2010)|
|Metro area||Tampa Bay Area|
|Teams||Tampa Tantrums - Travel Team A
Bruise Crew - Travel Team B
Cigar City Mafia
Aces on Eights
Bay Derby Chicks - Junior Derby
|Affiliations||Women's Flat Track Derby Association|
Tampa Bay Derby Darlins (TBDD) became the first women's flat track roller derby team in the state of Florida to be accepted into the Women's Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA), a major governing body of the sport of modern day roller derby, in 2007. Since then, the little sister league, the Tallahassee Rollergirls, have joined WFTDA as well. Comprising more than 100 skaters, referees, and volunteers, TBDD strives to be a part of the local Tampa Bay, Florida community by organizing fundraisers, partnering with various local charities, and continues to be role models for young girls and women in the region. Since the inception of TBDD, many more Florida leagues have emerged. The Tampa Bay Derby Darlins support their fellow roller derby sisters in achieving the highest standards of sports-woman-ship, sisterhood, and creating a lasting sport in the State of Florida.
League Organization 
In August 2007, the governing body of modern roller derby, Women's Flat Track Derby Association ("WFTDA"), accepted the Tampa Bay Derby Darlins as its newest league. Since that time, the Darlins have stepped up as Florida's premier roller derby league, with its all-star team, the Tampa Tantrums, consistently winning bouts against the best teams in the state. In order to more formally determine the state's best teams, TBDD established Florida's championship tournament, Sunshine Skate, in February 2008. The Tampa Tantrums have won the title both years since its inception, with the third taking place this December (2010). Roller derby is officially a force to be reckoned with across the country and, more specifically, right here in Tampa Bay. TBDD is working hard to ensure that the passion and intensity of modern roller derby is spread throughout the city, state, and country. TBDD has its three home teams, a training program for new girls ("Quad Killer" Program), a developmental practice squad (Aces on Eights), the Tampa Tantrums (who travel throughout the country playing some of the best teams roller derby has to offer), and the Tampa Bay Bruise Crew  (a newly formed B-Team that travels across Florida and is thus far undefeated). Derby girls are real, hardcore athletes, who spend endless hours practicing and promoting the sport of roller derby. They are also your sister, neighbor, doctor, lawyer, shop owner, manager, and best friend. The future of roller derby is boundless and so is that of your Tampa Bay Derby Darlins. TBDD also has a junior counterpart, Tampa Bay Derby Chicks, for girls ages 8–17.
WFTDA and TBDD Association 
The Tampa Bay Derby Darlins (TBDD) are part of the Women's Flat Track Derby Association (WFTDA) South Central Division. TBDD was accepted as a member in August 2007 after meeting requirements set forth by WFTDA. Being a part of WFTDA allows TBDD to compete against other leagues within the United States, Canada, and Europe that follow the same rules and regulations - therefore ensuring fair play and sports-woman-ship. Every fall, at the end of the official WFTDA roller derby season, each region holds a Playoff tournament which includes the top 10 ranking teams from that region. Three winners of the tournament advance to the WFTDA Championships tournament where a league wide winner is determined.
League Philanthropy 
With two seasons under their belts, the members of the league had a decent understanding of what it meant to be great skaters, league mates, teammates, and derby girls. What they hadn't showcased is what wonderful women they are off the track. In an effort to help the area and reach out to those in need, the Tampa Bay Derby Darlins began performing community involvement activities, working closely with The Springs Domestic Violence Center, Lowry Park Zoo, The Ronald McDonald House, Arthritis Foundation, Florida Blood Services, and many more. It is important to the league that we be more than great derby players, but also to be wonderful people and show the diversity that exists among us.
TBDD in Popular Culture Media 
July 19, 2008 TBDD won the People's Choice Award by entering a large, flying skate into the Tampa Bay Red Bull Flugtag competition. TBDD scored a third of the Red Bull Flugtag record 30,000 SMS votes.
TBDD was contacted by the movie Whip It, starring Ellen Page and directed by Drew Barrymore, in order to gain permission for the use of the Black Widows team name. The movie was released in 2009 and featured the Black Widows as one of the Austin roller derby teams in the movie.
October 3, 2009 - TBDD in conjunction with Runs With Bulls Tampa Bay, proceeds go to Alpha House, which provides safe housing for pregnant women and their children
TBDD League President, Jessica Cameron (aka Anne Tagonize), was a finalist for Tampa Bay Business Journal’s 2010 Business Woman of the Year Awards 
In September 2010, the Tampa Tantrums were featured in a music video for the Tampa punk band, Neglected Superhero. The song, "Derby Darlins," was written about and inspired by the Tampa Tantrums.
TBDD shows support for the LGBT Community with other derby leagues. Roller derby is, in modern history, a women's sport, and all women are welcome. TBDD has made sure to be inclusive of all women in the community and support them in any way we can. Here's a story from watermark.com about our support of the LGBT community (read)
TBDD League History 
- August - conception of Tampa Bay Roller Derby
- October - Tampa Bay Derby Darlins are officially established
The Tampa Bay Derby Darlins were formed thanks to the vision of one woman: Angela Kroslak (known in the derby community as "Dee Bauchery"). Although it was difficult and required hours of phone calls, internet research, and visits to local roller skating rinks, Dee Bauchery was able to find a place to host practices and bouts, as well as enough committed girls to begin the league. Three months later in October 2005, a relationship began between United Skates of America and the newly founded Tampa Bay Derby Darlins ("TBDD").
After 5 months of intense training and player evaluations, the league broke into 4 teams made up of the Black Widows, Cigar City Mafia, Switchblade Sisters, and Vicegrip Vixens. Skaters began to practice with their teams and in May 2006 and all four teams participated in the first two bouts in TBDD history, appropriately coined "Project Mayhem". The season was an impressive success and a colossal learning experience for the valiant original skaters. It culminated with the Black Widows winning the Double D ("DD") Championship Cup, by way of a completely undefeated, record season.
- August - TBDD was officially inducted into WFTDA
2007 was a year of new and exciting opportunities with a strong push by TBDD to become more involved with the Tampa Bay Area community and local charities. Additionally, 2007 was TBDD's premier appearance at the Florida State Fair!
- April - First WFTDA sanctioned bout against the Atlanta Rollergirls (91/58 Atlanta)
- QTR 3 - TBDD makes it first appearance on Flat Track Stats rankings at #36 (out of 55 teams)
- QTR 4 - TBDD move up on Flat Track Stats rankings to #30 (out of 61 teams)
- Recognized by the Tampa Chamber of Commerce for the league's Florida State Championship 1st place victory at the annual Sunshine Skate Championship, which has been organized and hosted by TBDD for 3 years running.
- QTR 1 - TBDD move down on Flat Track Stats rankings to #42 (out of 67 teams)
- QTR 2 - TBDD move down on Flat Track Stats rankings to #51 (out of 72 teams)
- QTR 3 - TBDD move up on Flat Track Stats rankings to #33 (out of 75 teams)
- September - TBDD places 7th in the WFTDA South Central Regional Tournament "Southern Fried Smackdown" in Atlanta, Georgia
- October 3 - TBDD in conjunction with Runs With Bulls Tampa Bay, proceeds go to Alpha House, which provides safe housing for pregnant women and their children
- QTR 4 - TBDD move up on Flat Track Stats rankings to #33 (out of 76 teams)
- TBDD Partnered with The Tampa Bay Sports Commission (TBSC) to host the Frank Panky tournament. TBSC is a non‐profit agency dedicated to: attract, promote and/or organize major amateur sporting events and grassroots youth sports programs that foster the ongoing development and quality of life for the entire Tampa Bay area.
- QTR 1 - TBDD move up on Flat Track Stats rankings to #30 (out of 76 teams)
- QTR 2 - TBDD move down on Flat Track Stats rankings to #37 (out of 79 teams)
- August - TBDD makes it first appearance on Derby News Network's Power Rankings at #25
- September - TBDD moves up one spot to #24 on Derby News Network's Power Rankings at #25
- September - TBDD hosted the first Tampa Tantrum Boot Camp and invited other leagues into their facilities to provide them with knowledge, skills, and drills to take back to their leagues.
- Women's Flat Track Derby Association ("WFTDA")
- Sunshine Skate 2009
- "Join Us, Recruitment". Tampa Bay Derby Darlins. 15 June 2008. Web. 22 Sept. 2010
- "Meet the Darlins, Tampa Tantrums". Tampa Bay Derby Darlins. 15 June 2008. Web. 22 Sept. 2010
- "Meet the Darlins, Tampa Bay Bruise Crew". Tampa Bay Derby Darlins. 15 June 2008. Web. 22 Sept. 2010
- "Member Leagues". Women's Flat Track Derby Association. 02 September 2010. Web. 22 Sept. 2010
- The Springs Domestic Violence Center
- Lowry Park Zoo
- "Thank you to our generous in-kind donors for April-September 2009" The Ronald McDonald House Charities. Web. 22 Sept. 2010
- "Florida Chapter E-News Letter" Arthritis Foundation. Summer Issue 2010. Web. 22 Sept. 2010
- Florida Blood Services
- "Red Bull Flugtag Tampa Bay" Red Bull 19. July. 2008
- "Saturday: Run with the bulls in Ybor City, roller derby style". St. Pete Times. 02 Oct 2009. Web. 22 Sept. 2010
- "TBBJ Name 60 Business Woman of the Year Finalist" Tampa Bay Business Journal. Web. 02. July. 2010
- "About TBDD, League History". Tampa Bay Derby Darlins. 15 June 2008. Web. 22 Sept. 2010
- Flat Track Stats[dead link]
- "Let the Madness Begin". St. Pete Times. 08 Feb 2007. Web. 22 Sept. 2010
- "Sunshine Skate 2009" Florida State Roller Derby Championship. Web. 09. Dec. 2008.
- Southern Fried Smackdown
- "Tampa Bay Derby Darlins Franky Panky Roller Derby Weekend at USF" Creative Loafing. Web. 05. April. 2010.
- Derby News Network
- "Current Rankings", WFTDA
- "Southern Fried Smackdown", WFTDA
- "Amber Waves of Pain", WFTDA
- "Results", Show Me Der-B-Q