Vincent Hyde, The A.v.D, Stitch D, Aaron Curse and Needles
|Origin||London, United Kingdom|
|Genres||Industrial metal, metalcore, groove metal, thrash metal|
|Labels||Nuclear Blast, Raise the Game, In At The Deep End|
|Associated acts||Nya, STOMP|
|Past members||Drex Exel
The Defiled are a four piece British industrial metal band from London, England mixing groove-laden hardcore/metal with electronic influences. They have been described by Kerrang! magazine as "The saviours of UK Metal" and championed by Metal Hammer as one of the leaders in a new wave of British metal along with bands such as While She Sleeps, Bury Tomorrow and Devil Sold His Soul. The band have built a fanbase following support slots with bands such as Murderdolls, Static-X, Godsmack, Deathstars and Motionless in White as well as playing Download and Sonisphere festivals.
Early Years, 1888 and Grave Times (2005-2011)
The band formed in 2005, and quickly embarked a number of tours early in their careers including their second, entitled "The Black Death Tour" climaxing in a sold out London show at the Underworld. These gigs have earned the band a reputation for their energetic and chaotic live shows.
With a series of sought-after demos trading between fans, the band released their first EP (1888) in 2009, and released their full album Grave Times for free, in the January issue of Metal Hammer. The Deluxe edition of the album (including a bonus disc), which had more preorders than both Rob Zombie and Foo Fighters and included the 1888 ReWorks EP and 2 music videos, was released on 14 February 2011. The Defiled headlined the Jagermeister stage at Sonisphere in July 2011 and opened the main stage at Bloodstock Open Air in August of the same year. They were nominated for the Best New British Band award in the Metal Hammer 2011 Golden Gods awards.
Line-up changes, Nuclear Blast and Daggers (2012-present)
In 2012 The Defiled opened for the Jägermeister Music tour 2012 at the Brixton Academy, supporting Black Spiders, Therapy? and Skindred, and performed at South By South West in a Metal Hammer Showcase, as well as play on the Third Stage at Download Festival 2012. 7 March 2012 saw the official welcome of Paul 'Needles' White, the band's 12th drummer, to the band replacing J.C. In June 2012 they won Best New Band at the Metal Hammer Golden Gods awards. The band opened up a PledgeMusic campaign to aid the funding of their sophomore album, recorded in Florida with producer Jason Suecof. The campaign reached its target with over a week to go. To accompany the album, The Defiled also plan to release a live album of Grave Times performed in full. The Defiled supported Dragonforce along with Alestorm on the UK and Irish leg of their European Tour in Autumn 2012. In November 2012 they were announced for the 2013 Jägermeister UK Music Tour, supporting Gojira and Ghost. From February to March 2013, they supported Bury Tomorrow on their first European headline tour. On 12 March 2013 Daniel P. Carter premiered a new song, "Sleeper", on BBC Radio One. On 15 March they announced that they had signed to Nuclear Blast to release their second album, Daggers. In May 2013 The Defiled set about some special intimate UK shows in the south but then later expanded the dates doing a full UK tour including a slot at Crooked Ways Festival. On 21 June, on the eve of their first ever US tour with Davey Suicide and The Bunny The Bear (which included a performance on the St Petersburg leg of the Vans Warped Tour), they released their Grave Times Live album to those who had pledged towards the funding of Daggers.
In July 2014, Aaron Curse left the band. A tribute in the music video for Infected was made to him, in which he was officially "killed off".
In November 2014, The Defiled will tour the UK with Special Guests Avatar.
- Current members
- Stitch D – lead vocals, guitar (2005–present)
- The AvD – programming, synthesizer, keyboards, backing vocals (2005–present), drums (2005)
- Vincent Hyde – bass (2010–present)
- Needles - drums (2012–present)
- Former members
- Aaron Curse - guitar (2005-2014)
- Drex Exel – bass (2005–2010)
- J.C – drums, percussion (2008–2012)
- Extended Plays
- 1888 (2008)
- Studio albums
- Live albums
- Grave Times Live (2013)
- Other appearances
- Various Artists - Kerrang! Presents: Metallica - The Black Album: Covered (track: "The Unforgiven") (2012)
- Various Artists - Kerrang! does Green Day's American Idiot (track: "Wake Me Up When September Ends") (2014)
- Music Videos
- The Resurrectionists (2010)
- Call To Arms (2011)
- Black Death (2011)
- Blood Sells (2012)
- Unspoken (2013)
- As I Drown (2013)
- No Place Like Home (2014)
- Infected (2014)
- "The Defiled | Bands & Artists | Rock Sound - New Music First". Rocksound.tv. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "The Golden Gods 2011: Best New Band | News". Metal Hammer. 2011-06-13. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- "The Defiled announced for London date of the 2012 Jagermeister Music Tour". ScribesOfMetal.com. 31 January 2012.
- "The Golden Gods 2012: Best New Band". Metal Hammer. 2012-06-11. Retrieved 2013-08-07.
- GHOST To Tour U.K. With GOJIRA, THE DEFILED Blabbermouth.net. 26 November 2012. Accessed 27 November 2012
- The Defiled Sign With Nuclear Blast, Release ‘Sleeper’ Lyric Video Metal Hammer 15 March 2013. Retrieved 15 March 2013
- "The Defiled release new music video as Aaron Curse bids farewell". Global Metal Apocalypse. Retrieved 2014-07-08.
- "The Defiled Announces New Bassist - in Metal News". Metal Underground.com. 2011-08-15. Retrieved 2013-08-07.