The Mod Squad (film)
|The Mod Squad|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Scott Silver|
|Produced by||Alan Riche
|Written by||Stephen Kay
|Music by||BC Smith|
|Release dates||March 26, 1999|
|Running time||92 minutes|
Julie Barnes (Claire Danes), Pete Cochran (Giovanni Ribisi) and Lincoln Hayes (Omar Epps) are three minor delinquents who choose to become undercover cops in place of serving their jail terms. When their superior Capt. Adam Greer (Dennis Farina) is murdered, the trio set out to find the real culprits.
- Claire Danes as Julie Barnes
- Giovanni Ribisi as Pete Cochran
- Omar Epps as Lincoln "Linc" Hayes
- Dennis Farina as Capt. Adam Greer
- Josh Brolin as Billy
- Steve Harris as Briggs
- Michael Lerner as Howard
- Richard Jenkins as Bob Mothersed
- Larry Brandenburg as Eckford
- Lionel Mark Smith as Lanier
- Sam McMurray as Tricky
- Michael O'Neill as Greene
- Stephen Kay as Bald Dude
- Bodhi Elfman as Gilbert - Skinny Freak
- Holmes Osborne as Mr. Cochrane
- Dey Young as Mrs. Cochrane
- Eddie Griffin as Sonny
Sarah Michelle Gellar, Melissa Joan Hart and Milla Jovovich were considered for the part of Julie Barnes, but they all passed until Claire Danes eventually got cast. Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris were offered the chance to direct the film, but turned it down in order to concentrate on making music videos instead; Scott Silver got the job.
The Mod Squad received negative reviews by critics. Rotten Tomatoes reported that 4% of critics had given the film positive reviews, based upon a sample of 51. At Metacritic, which assigns a rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the film has received an average score of 16, based on 21 reviews.
The film was nominated for a Razzie Award for Worst Screenplay, but lost out to another television show turned movie Wild Wild West. It was also a Box office bomb, grossing only $15.4 million out of its $50 million budget.
- "The Mod Squad (1999)". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "The Mod Squad". The Numbers. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "The Mod Squad (1999): Reviews". Metacritic. CNET Networks, Inc. Retrieved 2009-02-24.
- "The Mod Squad Movie Reviews, Pictures". Rotten Tomatoes. IGN Entertainment, Inc. Retrieved 2011-02-26.