To the Edge of the Earth
|To the Edge of the Earth|
|EP by Thirty Seconds to Mars|
|Released||March 25, 2008|
|Thirty Seconds to Mars chronology|
To the Edge of the Earth is a limited edition extended play (EP) by American rock band Thirty Seconds to Mars, released in the United States on March 25, 2008 by Virgin Records. It included a CD+DVD combo made of environmentally friendly material. To the Edge of the Earth was released in support to the environmental campaign which Thirty Seconds to Mars began with the release of the music video for their single "A Beautiful Lie" (2008). The short film was shot in Greenland and features an Earth conservation message with a global warming awareness theme.
Background and release
Thirty Seconds to Mars premiered the music video for the single "A Beautiful Lie" on January 30, 2008. It was directed by Jared Leto under the pseudonym of Angakok Panipaq, and was filmed 200 miles north of the Arctic Circle in Greenland. Determined to offset the impact that filming would have on the environment, Thirty Seconds to Mars worked with the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) to develop strategies that would minimize fuel consumption on the shoot. The band purchased a renewable energy certificate product from the Bonneville Environmental Foundation (BEF), a non-profit organization which aim to develop new sources of renewable energy. Thirty Seconds to Mars also launched a website, called abeautifullie.org, to provide information about environmental issues and ways to participate in environmental activities. People can make donations through the site to support the Natural Resources Defense Council. Leto described the experience saying,
"Shooting in Greenland was a dream come true and one of the most exciting adventures we've ever had as a band. Although incredibly challenging and at times it seemed just out of our reach, once we finally arrived the beauty and magnificence of the terrain, the wonderful culture of the people, and the amazing journey itself were all inspiring beyond belief. Almost everyone has heard of global warming by now but for the people of Greenland it is a real and tangible problem of today, not an issue of tomorrow. This journey changed our lives. We hope that with this film and new website we can share, in some small way, this incredible experience with our family of friends and fans around the world."
Upon release, "A Beautiful Lie" was met with widespread critical acclaim, resulting in various awards and nominations. Proceeds from the video's sales benefited the Natural Resources Defense Council. In support to their environmental campaign, Thirty Seconds to Mars released the extended play To the Edge of the Earth on March 25, 2008. The limited edition album was printed on post-consumer waste paper using minimal volatile organic compound inks and included a package made of ecological friendly materials.
|To the Edge of the Earth – Disc 1 (CD)|
|1.||"A Beautiful Lie"||4:06|
|2.||"A Beautiful Lie" (Single Shot Version)||4:06|
|3.||"A Beautiful Lie" (Live Acoustic Version)||3:42|
|To the Edge of the Earth – Disc 2 (DVD)|
|1.||"A Beautiful Lie" (Extended Version)||7:59|
|2.||"A Beautiful Lie" (Short Edit)||4:46|
Credits and personnel
Credits adapted from To the Edge of the Earth album liner notes.
- Thirty Seconds to Mars – performer; production on track 1
- Josh Abraham – production on tracks 1
- Ryan Williams – engineering on tracks 1–2; mixing on track 1
- Chris Lord-Alge – mixing on track 2
- Guy Teixeira – recording and mixing on track 3
- Serge Veneruso – recording and mixing on track 3
- Brian Gardner – mastering on track 1
- Stephen Marcussen – mastering on track 2
- Echo Designlab – design
- Jacques Descloitres – images
- Gottlieb, Steven (February 25, 2008). "30 Seconds To Mars "A Beautiful Lie"". VideoStatic. Retrieved June 12, 2014.
- Wippsson, Johan (March 8, 2008). "Jared Leto Is Back With A New Video And Global Cause". Melodic. Retrieved September 12, 2013.
- Destries, Michael (January 31, 2008). "30 Seconds To Mars Launches Massive Environmental Campaign, Short Film". Ecorazzi. Retrieved June 12, 2014.
- Paine, Andre (November 7, 2008). "American Acts Win Big At MTV EMAs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved March 23, 2014.
- "30 Seconds To Mars ‘A Beautiful Lie’". Rock Sound. January 30, 2008. Retrieved June 12, 2014.
- Johnson, T. "To The Edge Of The Of The Earth (Wal-Mart Exclusive)". Walmart. Retrieved June 12, 2014.
- To the Edge of the Earth (liner notes). Thirty Seconds to Mars. Virgin Records. 2008.