Trams in Nuremberg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Nuremberg tramway network
A GT8N tram in Friedrich-Ebert-Platz, 2012.
A GT6N tram in Friedrich-Ebert-Platz, 2012.
Operation
Locale Nuremberg, Bavaria, Germany
Horsecar era: 1881 (1881)–1898 (1898)
Status Converted to electricity
Track gauge 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 12 in)
Propulsion system(s) Horses
Electric tram era: since 1896 (1896)
Status Operational
Lines 5[1][2]
Operator(s) VAG Verkehrs-Aktiengesellschaft Nürnberg (de) (VAG)
Track gauge 1,435 mm (4 ft 8 12 in) standard gauge
Propulsion system(s) Electricity
Electrification 600 V DC
Stock 48[3]
Route length 33 km (21 mi)[3]
Stops 76[2]
Tramway network, 2012
Website Verkehrsverbund Großraum Nürnberg GmbH (German)

The Nuremberg tramway network (German: Straßenbahnnetz Nürnberg) is a network of tramways forming part of the public transport system in Nuremberg, a city in the federal state of Bavaria, Germany.

The network is currently operated by VAG Verkehrs-Aktiengesellschaft Nürnberg (de) (VAG), which itself is a member of the VGN (Verkehrsverbund Großraum Nürnberg or Greater Nuremberg Transport Network).

As of 2013, the network consisted of five lines,[1] running on a total operational route length of 33 kilometres (21 mi).[3] The network carried 39.152 million passengers annually.

History[edit]

The first horse-drawn tramline opened in Nuremberg on 25 August 1881.[4]

Electrification came to the system when the first electric tramline opened on 7 May 1896.[4] The entire system was electrified on 20 July 1898.[4] Until the 1990s the track gauge was 1,432 mm (4 ft 8 38 in).

Lines[edit]

The Nuremberg tramway network operated on six lines until 2011,[3] when one tram route was closed.

The network is currently made up of 96 kilometres (60 mi) of track,[2] with a total route length of 37 kilometres (23 mi),[2] of which 33 kilometres (21 mi)[2] is operational route. Of the tram's operational route, 41% is tramline segregated from other traffic, with the other 59% representing trams operating in the street with other automobile traffic.[2]

The Nuremberg tramway network is presently made up of the following five lines:[1]

Line Route (crossing points and termini) Stops
4 Gibitzenhof – Landgrabenstraße – Hallertor – Friedrich-Ebert-PlatzThon 15
5 TiergartenMögeldorf – Marientunnel – Hauptbahnhof - Aufseßplatz - Frankenstraße - Südfriedhof 26
6 Doku-ZentrumDutzendteich – Schweiggerstraße – Christuskirche – Landgrabenstraße – Hallertor – Westfriedhof 22
8 Tristanstraße - Hauptbahnhof – RathenauplatzErlenstegen 17
9 Doku-Zentrum – Wodanstraße – Schweiggerstraße – Hauptbahnhof 9
line network


See also[edit]

References[edit]

Notes[edit]

Bibliography[edit]

  • Binder, Robert, et al (1986). Der Stadtverkehr in Nürnberg und Fürth von 1881 bis 1981 [City Transport in Nuremberg and Fürth from 1881 to 1981]. Nürnberg: Presse- und Öffentlichkeitsstelle der VAG.  (German)
  • Hendlemeier, Wolfgang (1981). Handbuch der deutschen Straßenbahngeschichte [Handbook of German Tram History] 1. München.  (German)
  • Höltge, Dieter; Kochems, Michael (2006). Straßen- und Stadtbahnen in Deutschland [Tramways and Stadtbahnen in Germany]. Band 10: Bayern [Volume 10: Bavaria]. Freiburg i. B., Germany: EK-Verlag. ISBN 388255391X.  (German)
  • Klebes, Günther (1980). Die Strassenbahnen Bayerns in alten Ansichten [The Trams of Bavaria in Old Postcards]. Zaltbommel. ISBN 90-288-1197-4.  (German)
  • Schwandl, Robert (2012). Schwandl's Tram Atlas Deutschland (3rd ed.). Berlin: Robert Schwandl Verlag. pp. 110–113. ISBN 9783936573336.  (German) (English)
  • Der Nahverkehr in Nürnberg und Fürth von 1982 bis 2008 [Local Transport in Nuremberg and Fürth from 1982 to 2008] (1 ed.). Nürnberg: Jürgen Heußner. 2009.  (German)
  • 125 Jahre Nahverkehr in Nürnberg [125 Years Local Transport in Nuremberg] (1 ed.). Nürnberg: Presse- und Öffentlichkeitsstelle der VAG. 2006. ISBN 978-3-00-018689-9.  (German)
  • Nürnberg-Fürther Straßenbahn im Wandel der Zeiten [Nürnberg-Fürther Straßenbahn through the Ages] (3 ed.). Nürnberg: Freunde der Nürnberg-Fürther Straßenbahn e. V. 2005.  (German)

External links[edit]

Media related to Trams in Nürnberg at Wikimedia Commons

Coordinates: 49°27′N 11°05′E / 49.450°N 11.083°E / 49.450; 11.083