|Produced by||K. Muralitharan
|Edited by||V. Jaishankar|
Lakshmi Movie Makers
|10 May 2002|
The basic story of the movie involves Laila and Suriya falling in love. A 3rd character gets entangled in the plot and Laila is compelled by her family to marry him. Heart-broken Suriya leaves her alone, but only to find out that the man she married is a total crook. In trying to prove this to Laila, Suriya always ends up in situations where he looks like the crook. Infuriated and disgusted Laila yells at Suriya telling him to back off. Suriya then officially leaves her alone. Sneha gets weaved into the plot and ends up falling for Suriya's charm, and fastidious behaviour and they end up having great times together, that is until Laila comes back all heart-broken after finding out her boyfriend wants nothing further to do with her as he was going to marry someone else. Upon seeing this Suriya becomes greatly disturbed and helps Laila out in all the ways he can. In the end Laila is moving back to her hometown and at the train station asks for Suriya's hand in marriage, only to find that he is not interested. He states that love isn't like a tape-recorder to play over and over again, it only comes once. He tells her he is now only interested in Sneha who will wait for him all her life. He sees her off and is leaving the train station when Sneha runs up to him. They both smile at each other and walk off into the sun set.
- Suriya as Surya
- Laila as Nirmala
- Sneha as Radha
- Ramesh Khanna as Krishnamoorthy
- Chitra Lakshmanan as Vaidyalingam
- Charle as Mei Meiyappan
- R. Sundarrajan
- Sheela as Radha's Sister
- Thalaivasal Vijay as Nirmala's Father
- Pallavi as Nirmala's Mother
- Ramji as Selvam
- Hari Prashanth as Nirmala's brother
- Sathyapriya as Radha's Mother
- Uma Maheshwari as Radha's Sister
- Kumaresan as Room Boy
- Manager Cheena as Deluxe room customer
Most of the story takes place with the backdrop of a lodge with a mess attached. To get the right location for this, the unit had travelled to many places, but no suitable location was found. It was then that a set was erected at the Campa Cola grounds, Chennai. The unit shifted to Sri Lanka to picturise a song, picturised on Surya, Laila and Sneha, it captured the exotic locations at Kandy, Ramboda falls, etc. Three other songs were shot in Malaysia, Thailand, and Sri Lanka. It is the first time that director Vikraman has chosen foreign locations to shoot his songs.
Hindu wrote:"The story must have had a strong theme to begin with and the screenplay surely aims at conveying something different. But things do not progress in that direction". Sify wrote:"The film is very slow and one feels that the story is as old as the hills. The comedy track by the inmates of the lodge like an astrologer and a quack doctor is boring. The songs tuned by Sirpy reminds you of songs in Vikraman’s earlier films and even the picturisations are repetitive. Of the cast Surya is the only saving grace while the girls Laila and Sneha has nothing much to do. Ramesh Kanna, Charlie & Co are a pain".
the film made commercial success in box office which remaked in many languages.
|2002 Filmfare Awards South||Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress||Sneha||Won|
|2002 Tamil Nadu State Awards||Best Film||Unnai Ninaithu||Won|
|Best Music Director||Sirpy||Won|
|Tamil Nadu State Film Award for Best Male Playback||Unnimenon||Won|
|2004||Cheppave Chirugali||Telugu||Venu, Ashima||Vikraman|
|2007||Krishna||Kannada||Ganesh, Pooja Gandhi||M. D. Sridhar|
- rediff.com, Movies:The Rediff Review: Shahjahan. Rediff.com (2001-12-07). Retrieved on 2014-02-01.
- When Suriya replaced Vijay mysteriously , Suriya, Vijay. Behindwoods.com (2013-02-26). Retrieved on 2014-02-01.
- Unnai Ninaithu at the Wayback Machine (archived May 10, 2003). chennaionline.com.
- Unnai Ninaithu. The Hindu (2002-05-17). Retrieved on 2014-02-01.
- Movie Review : Unnai Ninaithu. Sify.com. Retrieved on 2014-02-01.
- "Tamil Nadu announces film awards for three years – Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 2004-10-01. Retrieved 2012-08-05.