User:L1A1 FAL/Megadeth's 15th studio album
|Studio album by Megadeth|
|Label||Tradecraft, via Universal|
Background, writing and recording
In June 2013, Megadeth released their fourteenth studio album, Super Collider, to highly mixed critical reaction. In the months following the that album's release, frontman and guitarist Dave Mustaine revealed that he and the rest of the band had already begun to discuss a follow-up, an urgency somewhat influenced by the then-recent death of Slayer guitarist Jeff Hanneman, which had reportedly given Mustaine a sense of mortality. During late 2014, several hardships struck the band. On October 4, 2014, Mustaine's Alzheimer's-afflicted mother-in-law went missing from a campground. Her remains were discovered on November 26. Additionally, in November, 2014, drummer Shawn Drover and guitarist Chris Broderick announced their resignations from the band. Despite the departures, bassist David Ellefson has announced that the band plans to start work on the album in early 2015.
Over the course of 2014, the band had announced its intentions to start preproduction on the album. The band has been working on new material since December 2013, and in January 2014, Mustaine revealed to Full Metal Jackie that many riffs have already been written for the new record. In May 2014, prior to his departure, Drover revealed that he and Mustaine had entered the studio and began tracking some demo ideas. Originally, the band originally hoped to begin recording in August 2014 and release the album in 2015. Instead, plans were only made to demo new material that October and start recording in January 2015.
Mustaine has elaborated that, due to a reduced tour schedule for summer 2014, the band had more time to focus on songwriting. He has also talked about possible lyrical themes, revealing that he had been reading about world history and "crazy science stuff". In July 2014, Mustaine announced that he was editing a demo for a new track titled "Why We Lie to You". He has described the track as "kind of like if Jack Bauer was in a band, what he would sing about," and compared the song's structure with that of "Holy Wars... The Punishment Due". Ellefson has stated that the band will take a different musical approach for the upcoming album.
The album is not expected to be produced by Johnny K, who produced Megadeth's two previous records. Mustaine has mentioned a possibility of reuniting with producer Max Norman, who worked with the band on Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction, and Youthanasia, although Norman's degree of involvement, if any, has yet to be clarified.
- Possible titles
- "Why We Lie to You"
- Dave Mustaine – lead vocals, lead, rhythm and acoustic guitars
- David Ellefson – bass guitar and backing vocals
- "Megadeth's Dave Mustaine Talks About Writing Process for Next Album". Blabbermouth.net. September 3, 2013. Retrieved September 5, 2013.
- Kielty, Martin (July 25, 2013). "Mustaine Fears His Time is Short". Team Rock Radio. Retrieved September 28, 2013.
- "Body of Missing Woman Found in Julian". cbs8.com. November 27, 2014. Retrieved November 28, 2014.
- "David Ellefson: Megadeth To Start Work On New Album In Early 2015, Spend Much Of Next Year 'Off The Road'9". Blabbermouth.net. December 7, 2014. Retrieved December 7, 2014.
- Kajzer, Jackie (January 15, 2014). "Megadeth’s Dave Mustaine Talks Creative Risks, "Super Collider" Album + Band’s Future Plans". Loudwire. Retrieved January 15, 2014.
- "Megadeth Tracking 'Heavy' Demo Ideas For Next Studio Album". Blabbermouth.net. May 30, 2014. Retrieved May 31, 2014.
- "Megadeth to Enter Studio Next Summer". Blabbermouth.net. December 18, 2013. Retrieved December 19, 2013.
- Wang, K. S. (July 25, 2014). "Celebrity Drive: Grammy-Nominated Megadeth Frontman Dave Mustaine". Motor Trend. Retrieved July 27, 2014.
- "Megadeth to Enter Studio in January, Says Dave Mustaine". Blabbermouth.net. November 6, 2014. Retrieved December 13, 2014.
- Kajzer, Jackie (July 15, 2014). "Megadeth’s Dave Mustaine Talks Touring, New Album Progress + More". Loudwire. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- "'Millionaire' Dave Mustaine Is 'Pissed Off' That He Has To Wait To Get Approval For CT Scan". Blabbermouth.net. July 24, 2014. Retrieved July 24, 2014.
- "Dave Mustaine Talks New Megadeth Album, Compares New Song to 'Holy Wars'". Ultimate Guitar Archive. July 31, 2014. Retrieved August 11, 2014.
- "Megadeth To Take 'Different Approach' On Next Album, Says David Ellefson". Blabbermouth.net. February 21, 2014. Retrieved September 5, 2014.
- Rosen, Steve (May 10, 2013). "Dave Mustaine Interview". Ultimate Guitar Archive. Retrieved May 12, 2013.
- Kajzer, Jackie (April 7, 2014). "Megadeth’s Dave Mustaine Discusses San Diego Symphony, Motorboat Cruise + More". Loudwire. Retrieved April 8, 2014.