Aerial view of Velsen
Location in North Holland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Franc Weerwind (D66)|
|• Total||63.05 km2 (24.34 sq mi)|
|• Land||44.78 km2 (17.29 sq mi)|
|• Water||18.27 km2 (7.05 sq mi)|
|Elevation||6 m (20 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||1,503/km2 (3,890/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postcode||1950–1951, 1970–1992, 2070–2082|
|Area code||023, 0251, 0255|
On the north side of the North Sea Canal, in IJmuiden, there is a major steel plant, Tata Steel IJmuiden, formerly known as Koninklijke Hoogovens. The headquarters of the Koninklijke Nederlandse Redding Maatschappij is located in IJmuiden.
The Kennemerstrand beach on the south side of the canal is at the end of the Kennemerboulevard, which runs south of the Seaport Marina.
The municipality of Velsen consists of the following cities, towns, villages and/or districts:
- on the north of the North Sea Canal:
- Velsen-Noord, and a part of IJmuiden (Corus),
- on the south of the North Sea Canal:
In Velsen, there are the following connections across the North Sea Canal:
- A railway tunnel between the railway stations of Driehuis and Beverwijk.
- Road tunnels, from north to south:
- Wijker Tunnel
- Velser Tunnel next to the railway tunnel.
- A ferry 
- A road across the lock complex
The municipal council of Velsen consists of 33 seats, which are divided now (2010) as follows:
- PvdA - 5 seats
- VVD - 5 seats
- VL - 5 seats
- D66V - 5 seats
- LGV - 4 seats
- CDA - 3 seats
- GL - 2 seats
- SP - 2 seats
- CU - 1 seat
- independent member - 1 seat
The ruins of a Roman naval base at Velsen are believed to be ancient Flevum, which is listed as Phleoum, Romanized to Phleum, in Ptolemy (2.10).
- "Burgemeester F.M. Weerwind" [Mayor F.M. Weerwind] (in Dutch). Gemeente Velsen. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 1971EN". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 23 March 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
|Bloemendaal, Haarlem||Haarlemmerliede en Spaarnwoude|