Street in Diemen with recreated traditional houses
Location in North Holland
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Amy Koopmanschap (GL)|
|• Total||14.04 km2 (5.42 sq mi)|
|• Land||11.99 km2 (4.63 sq mi)|
|• Water||2.05 km2 (0.79 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−1 m (−3 ft)|
|Population (May 2014)|
|• Density||2,181/km2 (5,650/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
Diemen (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈdimə(n)] ( listen)) is a town and municipality with a population of 26,148 in the Netherlands. It is located in the south of the province North Holland, southeast of Amsterdam, and within the Amsterdam Metropolitan Area.
Diemen is located in the province North Holland, in the west of the Netherlands. The town is part of the urban area of Amsterdam and is situated between Amsterdam-Oost (IJburg, Watergraafsmeer), Ouder-Amstel (Duivendrecht), Amsterdam-Zuidoost (Bijlmer, Driemond), and Muiden.
Three waterways cross the municipality: the Weespertrekvaart from west to south, the Amsterdam-Rhine Canal from north to east, and the river Diem from south to north. The river is the namesake of Diemen. The town can be divided into three neighbourhoods: Diemen Noord, Diemen Centrum, and Diemen Zuid.
Diemen Noord (English: Diemen North) is located on the south bank of the Amsterdam–Rhine Canal, which separates it from the Amsterdam neighbourhood IJburg, on the west bank of the river Diem, and on the north side of the Amsterdam–Zutphen railway. The area contains houses, a few of which are recreated old houses, a minor shopping centre, and in the east a green area called Diemerpolder.
Diemen Centrum (English: Diemen Centre) extends from the Watergraafsmeer in the west, from which it is separated by the A10 motorway, all the way to the north-east of municipality with the rural area Overdiemerpolder, an electricity plant, and the green area Diemervijfhoek. The neighbourhood contains houses and apartment buildings, the largest shopping centre, and the town hall. The train station Diemen is located between Noord and Centrum.
Diemen Zuid (English: Diemen South) is located next to Duivendrecht, Bijlmer, and Driemond. It contains houses and apartment buildings, a minor shopping centre, and a location of Inholland University of Applied Sciences. On the south-west border is the railway station Diemen Zuid for metros and trains. The east part of the neighbourhood contains an industrial area and a green area called Diemerbos.
After the 2010 local elections in the Netherlands, a coalition of Labour Party (PvdA), GreenLeft (GL), Democrats 66 (D66), and Socialist Party (SP) was formed in Diemen. The college van burgemeester en wethouders consists of the appointed mayor Amy Koopmanschap (GL) and the four aldermen Lex Scholten (PvdA), Ruud Grondel (GroenLinks), Jeannette Pietersen (D66), Maïta van der Mark (SP), one of each coalition party.
- PvdA - 4 seats
- VVD - 3 seats
- Leefbaar Diemen - 3 seats
- D66 - 3 seat
- SP - 3 seats
- GreenLeft - 2 seats
- Partij van de Ouderen - 2 seats
- CDA - 1 seats
Diemen has two train stations, Diemen on the Amsterdam–Zutphen railway and Diemen Zuid on the Weesp–Leiden railway. All train services to and from Diemen are exploited by the Nederlandse Spoorwegen (NS). The railway station Diemen Zuid connects the town to the metro network of the Gemeentelijk Vervoerbedrijf (GVB).
Tram (line 9), bus and night bus services connect Diemen to Amsterdam and other towns in the area.
Bus service line 46 drives form Diemen North to the railway and metrostation Amsterdam Bijlmer Arena
There are seven primary schools in Diemen. The three public schools are De Octopus, De Venser, and 't Palet. The two ecumenical schools are De Ark and De Duif. The school De Kersenboom is both public and ecumenical. De Nieuwe Kring is a Jenaplan school and Sint-Petrusschool is a Roman Catholic school.
There are two institutes of tertiary education in Diemen: the universities of applied sciences HBO Nederland and Inholland both have a location in Diemen Zuid. The nearest universities are in Amsterdam and Amstelveen.
- "College van B&W" [Board of mayor and aldermen] (in Dutch). Gemeente Diemen. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 1111ZB". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 26 June 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- (Dutch) Diemen, Vroegmiddelnederlands Woordenboek. Retrieved on 4 March 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 23 December 2013. Retrieved 24 December 2013.
- (Dutch) Basisonderwijs, Lokaaltotaal.nl/Diemen. Retrieved on 2013-05-22.
- (Dutch) Voortgezet onderwijs, Lokaaltotaal.nl/Diemen. Retrieved on 2013-05-22.
- (Dutch) HBO, Lokaaltotaal.nl/Diemen. Retrieved on 2013-05-22.
|Ouder-Amstel (Duivendrecht)||Amsterdam (Amsterdam-Zuidoost)|