Venezuela at the 2014 Winter Olympics
|Venezuela at the Olympic Games|
|At the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi|
|Competitors||1 in 1 sport|
|Flag bearer||Antonio Jose Pardo Andretta (opening and closing)|
|Olympic history (summary)|
Venezuela competed at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia from 7 to 23 February 2014. The team consisted of one athlete in alpine skiing. This marks the country's return to the Winter Olympics after missing the previous games four years ago.
According to the quota allocation released on January 20, 2014 Venezuela had qualified one athlete. Pardo is the fifth ever Venezuelan to ever qualify for the Winter Olympics and the first ever to qualify in a snow sport. Pardo entered the opening ceremony showing of his dance moves, which set off a social media buzz.
Pardo was the final starter in a field of 109 athletes in the giant slalom and quickly crashed after starting the race, thus receiving an official status of did not finish the race. Pardo summarized the race as, "it was not my fault,... one of the skis just fell off. If it was my fault, well...nothing I can do. But something that really doesn't belong to me is kind of upsetting".
|Athlete||Event||Run 1||Run 2||Total|
|Antonio Jose Pardo Andretta||Men's giant slalom||DNF|
- "Sochi 2014 Opening Ceremony - Flagbearers". http://www.olympic.org/. Sochi 2014 Olympic and Paralympic Organizing Committee. 7 February 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Sochi 2014 Closing Ceremony - Flagbearers". The International Olympic Committee (IOC). February 23, 2014. Retrieved 23 February 2014.
- "Venezolano Antonio Pardo estará en Sochi" [Venezuelan Antonio Pardo will be in Sochi]. Correo del Orinoco (in Spanish). 22 January 2014. Retrieved 24 January 2014.
- "Summary of Quota allocation as per 20.1.2014". www.fis-ski.com. FIS. 20 January 2014. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- Rush, Curtis (7 February 2014). "Antonio Pardo, Venezuelan skier, captures hearts at Sochi Olympics opening ceremonies". Toronto Star. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Baldwin, Alan (19 February 2014). Herman, Martyn, ed. "Olympics-Alpine skiing-Venezuelan banker unfazed by crash". Reuters (Rosa Khutor, Russia). Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- Tinoco, Armando (8 February 2014). "Sochi Olympics 2014: Meet Antonio Pardo, The Only Venezuelan Athlete Competing In Russia". Latin Times. Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- Mandell, Nina (7 February 2014). "This Venezuelan athlete is appropriately excited to be at the Olympics". USA Today. Retrieved 14 February 2014.