Location of Robert Island in the South Shetland Islands.
|Archipelago||South Shetland Islands|
|Administered under the Antarctic Treaty System|
Vilare Island (Bulgarian: остров Виларе, ‘Ostrov Vilare’ \'os-trov vi-'la-re\) is the low ice-free island in the Onogur group off the northwest coast of Robert Island in the South Shetland Islands, Antarctica extending 130 m in east-west direction and 60 m wide. It is separated from Churicheni Island by a 20 m wide passage.
The feature is named after the settlement of Vilare in Northern Bulgaria.
- Livingston Island to King George Island. Scale 1:200000. Admiralty Nautical Chart 1776. Taunton: UK Hydrographic Office, 1968.
- L.L. Ivanov. Antarctica: Livingston Island and Greenwich, Robert, Snow and Smith Islands. Scale 1:120000 topographic map. Troyan: Manfred Wörner Foundation, 2009. ISBN 978-954-92032-6-4 (Second edition 2010, ISBN 978-954-92032-9-5)
- Antarctic Digital Database (ADD). Scale 1:250000 topographic map. Scientific Committee on Antarctic Research (SCAR), 1993-2012.
- Vilare Island. SCAR Composite Antarctic Gazetteer.
- Bulgarian Antarctic Gazetteer. Antarctic Place-names Commission. (details in Bulgarian, basic data in English)
This article includes information from the Antarctic Place-names Commission of Bulgaria which is used with permission.
|This South Shetland Islands location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|