The picnicking area was "Norman's Landscape" just inside the park at Central Park West between 86th & 90th. The picnic lasted from 1 PM - 8 PM. It was easiest to come into the park at the W 86th entrance ().
Remember it was a wiki-picnic, which meant potluck. There was lots of good food!
In all, 50+ people attended.
Nearest subway station:
- The Uptown C train was running express that weekend, from 59 St to 125 St and will not stop at 86th St.
- Alternate: Take the uptown #1,#2 or #3 train to West 86th Street and Broadway, and walk along 86th street to the park. (9 minute walk average.)
- Alternate 2: Take the uptown A or C train to W 125th Street, and change to a downtown C train to 86th street.
Predictions for the day:
- a thunderstorm in spots (AccuWeather)
- Chance of T-storms, 30% chance of precipitation (Weather Underground)
- Some clouds and possibly an isolated thunderstorm in the afternoon. High 79F. Winds W at 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%. (The Weather Channel)
- 30% chance of showers and t-storms, mainly between 1pm and 4pm. Otherwise, partly sunny, with a high near 83F. (Natl Weather Svc.)
But it didn't rain! Actually it was quite nice, not too hot and pleasant under the big trees.
What to bring
- Food and snacks enough to feed yourself and a few of your fellow Wikipedians (salads, lunchmeats, breads, condiments, etc.)
- A blanket
- Sunscreen; maybe a hat
- Beach umbrellas
- Water and ice
- Portable wiki and free culture awesomeness
No alcohol or cigarettes please, as both banned in NYC parks. Share what you're bringing at Wikipedia talk:Meetup/NYC.
- Pharos (talk) 16:17, 26 May 2011 (UTC)
- For sure. Definitely looking forward to both the 25th and the 24th. I get to be a speaker at a high school graduation on Friday the 24th!Mitch32(Can someone turn on the damn air conditioning?) 22:53, 26 May 2011 (UTC)
- Blurpeace 05:22, 27 May 2011 (UTC)
- Jim.henderson (talk) 14:54, 31 May 2011 (UTC)
- DGG ( talk ) 00:14, 5 June 2011 (UTC)
- No conflicts this time. Daniel Case (talk) 16:19, 6 June 2011 (UTC)
- Bearian (talk) 19:11, 6 June 2011 (UTC)
- I can! Hqearth (talk) 20:42, 17 June 2011(UTC)
- Yay! Invertzoo (talk) 12:43, 18 June 2011 (UTC)
- Say..Hey!i_made_this 17:35, 18 June 2011 (UTC)
- It would be good to see everyone. --David Shankbone 18:12, 27 May 2011 (UTC)
- Visiting the NYC area, will try to come. -- Vmenkov (talk) 17:29, 20 June 2011 (UTC)
- Guslacerda (talk) 17:50, 20 June 2011 (UTC);
- Yeah. I'm probably coming. Live in Long Island EDIT: I got sick at the last minute :(. (Electric44 (talk) 00:46, 21 June 2011 (UTC)
- I'll probably be there.--Scottandrewhutchins (talk) 22:21, 21 June 2011 (UTC)
- I will definitely be there.--Cali373 (talk) 10:30, 22 June 2011 (UTC)
- I'll be by to say hi! —Elipongo (Talk contribs) 23:58, 24 June 2011 (UTC)
- Theornamentalist (talk) 22:25, 25 June 2011 (UTC)
- Hopefully I'll be there. This'll be my first meetup *excited* --Vster88 03:03, 25 June 2011 (UTC)
- I'll be there, +1 guest. --Jeremyb (talk) 04:40, 25 June 2011 (UTC)
- Beautiful day for the park, no excuses. --Nbauman (talk) 18:34, 25 June 2011 (UTC)
- - Going to try to make it, though I don't know what dish I can bring that would survive the two train trips it takes me to get there. A fluffernutter is a sandwich! (talk) 16:18, 26 May 2011 (UTC)
- - Same as Fluffernutter. I'll think of something to bring though. Maybe drinks? Are we going to set some sort of coordination up so that we have a variety of food?
— V = IR (Talk • Contribs) 18:24, 26 May 2011 (UTC)
- - Andrevan@ 08:34, 27 May 2011 (UTC)
- Maybe. We'll see. — HelloAnnyong (say whaaat?!) 18:44, 27 May 2011 (UTC)
- I'll be there unless that's the weekend I'll be out-of-town for work. I'll know in a couple of weeks. Newyorkbrad (talk) 19:12, 27 May 2011 (UTC)
I am actually going to be in the area on vacation this weekend. I would like to come, but my plans are not entirely firm yet.--BirgitteSB 01:27, 29 May 2011 (UTC)I misread my itenirary I am leaving NYC Saturday. -BirgitteSB 12:28, 24 June 2011 (UTC)
- I'll try Peter.C • talk • contribs 14:47, 1 June 2011 (UTC)
- Chriss.2 04:27, 4 June 2011 (UTC)
- GChriss <always listening><c> 19:51, 12 June 2011 (UTC)
- Hope to be there for my first Wiknic. Any hints on what to bring (like several above, something that will survive multiple trains and extended non-refrigerated transit time). Wikipositivist (talk) 18:08, 15 June 2011 (UTC)
- I'm thinking of attending - it will be my second picnic with my fellow Wikipedians. --Uncle Ed (talk) 00:43, 20 June 2011 (UTC)
- Might go. ~kiddRell_ (talk) 07:05, 20 June 2011 (UTC)
- Newbie from Long Island. Will try to find Norman's landscape... --Alexander ʃ (talk) 17:36, 20 June 2011 (UTC)
- I will try my best to attend the picnic, as well as obtain food for it. However, if it rains, then I won't be able to go.--iHeartGold26 (talk)
- Depends. T. Canens (talk) 04:45, 24 June 2011 (UTC)
- I'm thinking of going - Sal D., Glendale, NY
- Thanks for the invitation. I might stop by today. SSZ (talk) 14:54, 25 June 2011 (UTC)
- I'll try. Nicholas Love (talk) 17:06, 25 June 2011 (UTC)
- -Becksguy (talk) 17:43, 26 May 2011 (UTC) - Previous commitment.
- - Impossible, I will be in Israel at that time. Sir William Matthew Flinders Petrie | Say Shalom! 22:07, 26 May 2011 (UTC)
- - No chance, unless I win the Florida Lottery between now and mid-June, and I'm not playing this weekend. ----DanTD (talk) 01:21, 28 May 2011 (UTC)
- Sorry, I have my cousin's graduation party to go to. Nightscream (talk) 20:31, 19 June 2011 (UTC)
- - I will return from vacation the next day. ~ Robert Greer (talk) 23:37, 19 June 2011 (UTC)
- - Will not be able to attend this year, Will be in Cuba finishing up my research:( Cuba65
- I wish. Next year I'll definitely be able to, though. The Blade of the Northern Lights (話して下さい) 03:54, 21 June 2011 (UTC)
- Work day for me unfortunately LazarX