|Classification and external resources|
It is closely related to bronchopulmonary dysplasia, differing mainly in the lack of prior ventilatory support. All the initial patients described with Wilson–Mikity syndrome were very low birth weight infants that had no history of mechanical ventilation and yet developed a syndrome that clinically resembled BPD. Upon the death of some of these infants, autopsies showed histologic changes also similar to those seen in BPD.
It was characterized by Miriam G. Wilson and Victor G. Mikity in 1960.
- Cooperman, EM (May 17, 1969). "Wilson-Mikity syndrome (pulmonary dysmaturity syndrome).". Canadian Medical Association journal 100 (19): 909–12. PMC 1945995. PMID 5789544.
- Lehman DH (October 1969). "The Wilson–Mikity syndrome. Case report and review of literature". Calif Med 111 (4): 298–304. PMC 1503650. PMID 5388332.
- Hodgman JE (December 2003). "Relationship between Wilson–Mikity syndrome and the new bronchopulmonary dysplasia". Pediatrics 112 (6 Pt 1): 1414–5. doi:10.1542/peds.112.6.1414. PMID 14654617.
- Wilson MG, Mikity VG (April 1960). "A new form of respiratory disease in premature infants". AMA J Dis Child 99 (4): 489–99. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1960.02070030491011. PMID 13845104.
- Hoepker, A; Seear, M; Petrocheilou, A; Hayes D, Jr; Nair, A; Deodhar, J; Kadam, S; O'Toole, J (Oct 2008). "Wilson-Mikity syndrome: updated diagnostic criteria based on nine cases and a review of the literature.". Pediatric pulmonology 43 (10): 1004–12. doi:10.1002/ppul.20900. PMID 18781642.
- Lehman, DH (October 1969). "The Wilson-Mikity syndrome. Case report and review of literature.". California medicine 111 (4): 298–304. PMC 1503650. PMID 5388332.
|This article about a disease, disorder, or medical condition is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|