Wollongong railway station
Northbound view from Platform 2
|Address||Lowden Square, Wollongong
|Elevation||56 feet (17 m)|
|Distance||82.92 km (51.52 mi) from Central|
|Platforms||4 (2 side, 2 dock)|
|Opened||21 June 1887|
|Fare zone||MyZone 3|
The original Wollongong railway station (Platform 2) was constructed in 1887. The Platform 2 refreshment room, which is still in use today, was constructed in 1890. The Platform 1 station and refreshment room were constructed in 1923 and 1926 respectively.
In 2005, the station's Easy Access upgrade was completed. On 14 August 2010, in addition to its original car park, a new commuter car park which provides 365 free car spaces including disabled and motorcycle parking, as well as bicycle storage, was opened.
Platforms & services
Wollongong has two side platforms serviced by NSW TrainLink South Coast line services travelling between Sydney Central, Bondi Junction and Kiama, as well as local services from Waterfall and Thirroul to Port Kembla. Peak hour services terminate at Wollongong with carriages stabled in sidings south of the station.
There are also two south facing dock platforms that are occasionally used by Endeavour railcar services. These were used by CPH railmotor services from Moss Vale until these ceased in September 1985 and following electrification of the line from Sydney, by diesel railcar services from the south.
|1||South Coast Line||NSW TrainLink electric services to Thirroul, Waterfall, Sydney Central & Bondi Junction|
|2||South Coast Line||NSW TrainLink electric services to Port Kembla & Kiama|
Premier Illawarra operates six routes via Wollongong station:
- 34: to Port Kembla
- 37: Wollongong - Oak Flats - Shellharbour - Wollongong station anti-clockwise loop
- 51: Wollongong University - Albion Park
- 53: Wollongong University - Oak Flats station
- 57: Wollongong station - Shellharbour - Oak Flats - Wollongong clockwise loop
- 65: North Beach to Port Kembla station
- Wollongong Station NSWrail.net
- Wollongong Railway Station Group NSW Environment & Heritage
- NSW Minister for Transport (14 October 2010). "New Wollongong commuter car park opens". Retrieved 3 November 2010.
- Matthew Jones (13 October 2010). "New car park to assist rail commuters". Retrieved 3 November 2010.
- South Coast Line timetable NSW TrainLink 20 October 2013
- Routes 886, 887 and 888 timetable Busabout 1 June 2014
- Southern Highlands Line timetable NSW TrainLink 20 October 2013
- Routes 34 and 65 timetable Premier Illawarra 20 October 2013
- Routes 37 and 57 timetable Premier Illawarra 20 October 2013
- Routes 51, 53 and 72 timetable Premier Illawarra 20 October 2013
- Timetables Premier Motor Service
- Media related to Wollongong railway station at Wikimedia Commons
- Wollongong station details Sydney Trains