Yokohama Marine Tower
|Yokohama Marine Tower in November 2005 as seen from Yamashita Park|
|Location||Yokohama Inner Harbour|
|Year first lit||1961|
|Construction||steel lattice tower|
|Tower shape||10 sided conical|
|Markings / pattern||silver skeleton, olive brown structure|
|Height||348 feet (106 m)|
|Focal height||341 feet (104 m)|
|Range||25 nautical miles (46 km; 29 mi)|
|Characteristic||Al.Fl. R.G. 20s|
The light characteristic is marked by a flash every twenty seconds, whereby the light's colour is alternating red and green. Originally, at night, the tower shaft itself was lit green and red according to its markings, but now, after the reopening on May 2009, the lights are white.
Yokohama Marine Tower was inaugurated in 1961. The Marine Tower is billed "the tallest lighthouse in the world", although this depends on what lighthouses are considered. In clear conditions, visitors can see Mount Fuji from the 100-metre high observation deck.
On December 25, 2006, Marine Tower temporarily shut its doors. Then the city of Yokohama took over ownership, to restore it. After the renovations, Marine Tower was reopened on May 23, 2009, in time for the city's 150th anniversary celebrations.
- According to The Lighthouse Directory. The List of Lights has "red and white bands", but current photos disagree.
- According to The Lighthouse Directory. 332 feet (101 m) according to the List of Lights
- List of Lights, Pub. 112, Western Pacific and Indian Oceans Including the Persian Gulf and Red Sea (PDF). List of Lights. United States National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. 2209. p. 67.
- Sabin, Burritt (2002-03-17). "Yokohoma vs. Kobe: bright lights, big beacons". The Japan Times. Retrieved 2008-01-28
- Yokohama Footnotes:Vol.4 Marine Tower,the tallest lighthouse in the world City of Yokohama, November 2006
- Rowlett, Russ. "The Tallest Lighthouses". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Rowlett, Russ. "Lighthouses of Japan: Tōkyō Area". The Lighthouse Directory. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- "横浜港の象徴 マリンタワーが復活 ２３日から一般公開". MSN Sankei News. 2009-05-21. Retrieved 2009-07-01[dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Yokohama Marine Tower.|
- Yokohama Marine Tower official website
- マリンタワー再生事業, the City of Yokohama's project to restore the Marine Tower (Japanese)
|This article about a Japanese building- or structure-related topic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Kanagawa Prefecture location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|