Halperin in a Maccabi jersey.
|No. 10 – Hapoel Jerusalem|
|Position||Shooting guard / Point guard|
|League||Israeli Super League
January 24, 1984 |
Tel Aviv, Israel
|Listed height||6 ft 5 in (196 cm)|
|Listed weight||210 lb (95 kg)|
|NBA draft||2006 / Round: 2 / Pick: 53rd overall|
|Selected by the Seattle SuperSonics|
|Pro playing career||2001–present|
|2001–2005||Maccabi Tel Aviv|
|2006–2008||Maccabi Tel Aviv|
|2011–2012||Spartak Saint Petersburg|
|2013–present||Hapoel Jerusalem B.C.|
|Career highlights and awards|
|FIBA Under-21 World Championship All Star 2005
All-Euroleague Second Team 2008
All-Eurocup Second Team (2012)
* 2× Euroleague Champion (2004, 2005)
Yotam Halperin (Hebrew: יוֹתָם הַלְפֶּרִין; born January 24, 1984) is an Israeli professional basketball player,currently playing for Hapoel Jerusalem of the Israeli BSL, which also plays in the Eurocup. He is a 1.96 m (6 ft 5 in) tall combo guard. He was named 2007-08 All-Euroleague 2nd Team.
Halperin was born in Tel Aviv, Israel. He played in the Maccabi Tel Aviv youth team and won two Israeli Youth League titles (2000–01,2001–02). Simultaneously, He led his high school basketball team into winning the national title.
Maccabi Tel Aviv
Halperin debuted in Maccabi senior team at the age of 17 in a Euroleague game against Alba Berlin. In his first years with Maccabi, Yotam had barely gained minutes behind stars as Ariel McDonald and Šarūnas Jasikevičius. In his first three seasons he averaged 12.3 minutes per game in the Israeli BSL.
Halperin has won the 2003-04 Euroleague title with Maccabi. He scored 7 points and passed 4 assists in the final against Skipper Bologna. The team were able to win the 2004-05 Euroleague as well, but Halperin didn't had a major part in the success.
On August 31, 2005 Yotam has signed a one year contract with Slovenian League Champions Union Olimpija. Maccabi has agreed to release Halperin, In order for him to gain experience in the Euroleague level. Halperin has immediately took a leading role in the team averaging 13.9 points in 36 minutes per game during the 2005-06 Euroleague, but the team has failed reaching the Top 16.
After his breakout season with Union Olimpija, Halperin has declared himself as available at the 2006 NBA Draft. The NBA Mock draft websites didn't projected him to be drafted at all. Despite the earlier predictions, Halperin has been selected in the 2nd round (53rd pick overall) by the Seattle SuperSonics.
Return To Maccabi Tel Aviv
After failing to gain a guaranteed contract in the NBA, Yotam has signed a three-years deal with former club Maccabi Tel Aviv. He had bigger part in the team rotation then his first term with the team, gaining more than 24 minutes per game and starting in 13 out of 19 games during the 2006–07 Euroleague Season.
On June 25, 2008 Yotam has signed a deal with Euroleague team Olympiacos Piraeus. The contract was worth 4.5 million USD spread over three years. The buy-out from Maccabi, in which he had a contract in, had cost Olympiacos 950,000USD. In Olympiacos Halperin joined his former teammate Nikola Vujcic, and former Euroleague MVP Theodoros Papaloukas. The team has reached 2008–09 Euroleague final four losing to Arch enemies Panathinaikos B.C. in the semies. a year later they reached the 2009–10 Euroleague final but lost to FC Barcelona.
Before the 2010-11 season Olympiacos has placed Yotam in the inactive list, and ordered his agent to find him a new team. After his agent wasn't able to locate a team that agreed to carry Halperin's heavy contract, Olympiacos coach Dušan Ivković agreed to give the player a second chance at the roster. eventually, he stayed in Olympiacos for the rest of the season.
Spartak Saint Petersburg
On June 20, 2011 Maccabi Tel Aviv has announced the return of Halperin, who signed a contract for three years. Almost a month later, Maccabi has anouced cancellation of the contract due to taxation problems.
After the fiasco with Maccabi, Halperin has signed a 2-years contract with Russian team Spartak Saint Petersburg. Yotam had good season in the 2011–12 Eurocup, where his team reached the semi-finals. Yotam has awarded a place in the All-Eurocup 2nd Team, with his teammate Patrick Beverley gaining the MVP award.
Yotam got released from Spartak at the end of the season.
Israeli National Team
Halperin has been a member of the Israel national U-21 team leading the team to the second place of the 2004 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championship. Yotam finished as the 2nd best scorer with an average of 20.4 points per game. He also been elected to the All-Tournament Team.
Euroleague career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field-goal percentage||3P%||3-point field-goal percentage||FT%||Free-throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||PIR||Performance Index Rating|
|2001–02||Maccabi Tel Aviv||3||1||2.0||.000||.000||.000||.0||.0||.0||.0||.0||-1.7|
|2002–03||Maccabi Tel Aviv||8||0||4.0||1.00||1.00||.500||.3||.1||.1||.0||1.0||0.6|
|2003–04||Maccabi Tel Aviv||17||0||6.2||.416||.273||.857||1.1||.8||.5||.0||2.1||3.1|
|2004–05||Maccabi Tel Aviv||15||1||10.0||.424||.429||.636||1.1||.7||.5||.1||2.7||2.5|
|2006–07||Maccabi Tel Aviv||19||13||24.4||.371||.348||.852||2.1||2.0||1.1||.1||6.5||5.8|
|2007–08||Maccabi Tel Aviv||25||23||28.0||.536||.444||.873||2.1||4.0||1.0||.1||10.2||13.0|
- "2007-08 All-Euroleague announced". Euroleague.net. May 3, 2008.
- "Maccabi Elite 82 - 70 Alba Berlin". Euroleague.net. October 11, 2001.
- "Yotam Halperin signed in Olimpija". 24sec.net. August 31, 2005.
- "2006 NBA Draft". NBAdraft.net.
- "Yotam Halperin Signed In Maccabi" (in hebrew). Walla.co.il. September 19, 2006.
- "Olympiakos announced Yotam Halperin". The Hoop Blog. June 25, 2008.
- "Offically:Halperin Signed At Olympiacos" (in hebrew). Globes. June 25, 2008.
- "Olympiacos to Baladuchi: Find Halperin A Team" (in hebrew). Mako. June 17, 2010.
- "Maccabi Tel Aviv brings Yotam Halperin back". Sportando. June 20, 2011.
- "Yotam Won't Play At Maccabi" (in hebrew). Walla.co.il. July 16, 2011.
- "Spartak SPB tabs Yotam Halperin". Sportando. July 25, 2011.
- "2011-12 All-Eurocup Second Team". Eurocup Basketball. April 4, 2012.
- "2011-12 Eurocup MVP: Patrick Beverley, Spartak St. Petersburg". Eurocup Basketball. April 6, 2012.
- "Yotam Halperin, Miha Zupan and Nikola Dragovic leave Spartak SPB". Sportando. May 31, 2012.
- "Yotam Agree Terms With Maccabi" (in hebrew). Walla.co.il. July 16, 2011.
- "Halperin signed for three years with Hapoel Jerusalem" (in hebrew). Sport5. August 1, 2013.
- "Hapoel Jerusalem officially signs Yotam Halperin". Sportando. August 1, 2013.
- "U20 Men All Star Team And MVP". FIBA Europe. August 1, 2004.
- "FIBA U21 World Championship for Men 2005". FIBA.
- Career statistics and player information from NBA.com
- Euroleague.net Profile
- Basketpedya.com Career & Stats