You Ain't Much Fun
|"You Ain't Much Fun"|
|Single by Toby Keith|
|from the album Boomtown|
|B-side||"Life Was a Play"|
|Released||March 14, 1995|
|Format||CD Single, 7"|
|Label||PolyGram/Polydor Nashville 851728|
Carl Goff Jr.
|Toby Keith singles chronology|
"You Ain't Much Fun" is a song co-written and performed by American country music singer Toby Keith that peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) chart. It was released in March 1995 as the third single released from his second studio album, Boomtown. It also peaked at #3 on the Canadian RPM country tracks. Keith wrote the song with Carl Goff, Jr.
Background and writing
Keith told The Boot that his co-writer, Carl Goff Junior "came on the bus, and I was writing one night, and he was telling me some story about his wife. He said, 'Me and my wife have been in a fight, and she said she was going to leave me if I didn't slow down, so I quit drinking. I'm not drinking right now. So now I've been having to mow and have been out working in the yard, and I've had to get that car running.' He was telling me all his agony. She came home one night, and he had hit himself with a wrench or something and hurt his hand, and she said, 'What's the matter?' He told her, 'You ain't much fun since I quit drinkin'.' I was writing songs, and I said, 'Let's write this right now.' And we just sat down and wrote it." 
The song is an up-tempo melody in which the singer has just sobered up, and his wife makes him do chores for her. He tells her that she "ain't much fun" since [he] quit drinkin'".
Deborah Evans Price, of Billboard magazine reviewed the song favorably, saying that there is "just a touch of Roger Miller in this shuffle-beat lament of a man lonesome for the shelter of the bottle."
"You Ain't Much Fun" debuted at number 63 on the Hot Country Singles & Tracks chart for the week of March 15, 1995.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||3|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||42|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||11|
- Conaway, Alanna (21 October 2009). "Toby Keith, 'You Ain't Much Fun' - Story Behind the Lyrics". The Boot. Retrieved 21 June 2010.
- Billboard, March 18, 1995
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 9199." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. June 19, 1995. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- "Toby Keith Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Toby Keith.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1995". RPM. December 18, 1995. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- "Best of 1995: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1995. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
|This 1990s country song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|