Levi at the Guardians of the Galaxy premiere in July 2014
|Born||Zachary Levi Pugh
September 29, 1980
Lake Charles, Louisiana, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor, director, singer|
|Spouse(s)||Missy Peregrym (m. 2014)|
Zachary Levi Pugh (/ /; born September 29, 1980), known professionally as Zachary Levi, is an American actor, director, and singer. He is best known for his role as Chuck Bartowski in the series Chuck. He has also appeared in Less than Perfect, Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel, Tangled, and Thor: The Dark World.
Levi was born in Lake Charles, Louisiana, the son of Susan and Darrell Pugh. He is of Welsh ancestry. When Levi was a child, his family moved across several states before finally heading back to their home in Ventura, California, where he attended Buena High School for four years. He began acting on stage at the age of six, performing lead roles in regional productions such as Grease, The Outsiders, Oklahoma!, Oliver!, The Wizard of Oz, and Big River at the Ojai Art Center. He chose his middle name as his stage name because his agent told him that "a guy named Zach Pugh would not be going far in Hollywood".
Levi first appeared in the FX television movie Big Shot: Confessions of a Campus Bookie. He played Kipp Steadman on the ABC sitcom Less Than Perfect. He also portrayed a potential boyfriend of Charisma Carpenter's character, Jane, in the ABC Family television movie See Jane Date. Levi was slated to be a lead in an ABC pilot called Three for the 2004/2005 television season, but the show was not picked up.
He landed the starring role in Chuck in 2007. Levi and his Chuck co-star, Yvonne Strahovski, were both nominated for Best Action Actor and Actress Choice TV Series for the Teen Choice Awards 2010 where they both won and presented. In the summer of 2008, Levi was named one of Entertainment Weekly's Top Thirty People Under Thirty. He later starred in the film Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel in the lead role as Dave's cousin Toby Seville.  In 2010 he is presented Kids' Choice Awards, were both a winner for Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel in Best Favorite Movie. He starred in the 2010 Disney-animated feature film Tangled, which is based on the popular fairy tale Rapunzel. He voices Flynn Rider, a bandit who finds refuge in Rapunzel's tower. He provided narration in the 2011 film Under the Boardwalk: The Monopoly Story, a documentary about the game of Monopoly. Levi hosted the 2011 Spike Video Game Awards.
BuddyTV ranked him #97 on its list of "TV's Sexiest Men of 2011". Levi landed the male lead in the 2012 TV pilot Let It Go, which would have aired on Fox, but was not picked up. Levi hosted the web documentaries Tomb Raider The Final Hours, going behind the scenes of the new Tomb Raider game. He was originally to portray Fandral in Thor, but had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts with Chuck. He did play the role in the sequel, Thor: The Dark World (2013), after original actor Josh Dallas had scheduling conflicts of his own. Levi made his Broadway debut in a production of the musical comedy First Date in August 2013.
In January 2015, it was announced that Levi will be a lead member of the cast of NBC's 13-episode miniseries Heroes Reborn; the role has yet to be named. He will also be guest-starring as Abraham Lincoln in the Hulu original series Deadbeat.
In April 2010, Katharine McPhee released a preview of a music video to cinemas for her single "Terrified". Levi duets with her on the song (which was re-recorded; the original album version features Jason Reeves) and appears in the music video singing with McPhee. On May 3, 2010, the song was previewed on Entertainment Weekly's website and was made available for purchase on iTunes. The full video premiered on May 7, 2010 on the music video website Vevo. Levi financed Kendall Payne's album Grown after she was dropped by her label, Capitol Records.
Levi is featured on the soundtrack of the movie Tangled, singing a duet with co-star Mandy Moore called "I See the Light", as well as being featured in the song "I've Got a Dream". In honor of the Oscar nomination for Best Original Song, Levi and Moore performed "I See the Light" at the 83rd Academy Awards. He has also been a guest member of Band from TV, a band made up of actors from various American television shows.
Levi is a sports car and motorcycle enthusiast and owns a 2009 Nissan GT-R. He is an avid gamer, having first played Super Mario Bros., and has come to appreciate video games for their ability to provide interactive stories.
Levi is a Christian and has been since childhood. In a 2002 interview with Relevant Magazine, he said: "My job on my set, I believe, is to first just love people and gain that trust with people where they know that I really do love them and care about their well-being, so that when they are running into problems, they will hopefully, at some point, come to me and ask me, 'What is your peace all about? What is your comfort all about? Where do you get your love? Where do you get your talents?' And I can turn to them and say without blinking, 'Jesus Christ.'"
In September 2010, Levi started his own company, The Nerd Machine. He was selected as a participant in the Celebrity All Star Game at NBA All Star Weekend 2011. He played for the team coached by Magic Johnson.
|2005||Reel Guerrillas||Evon Schwarz||Short film|
|2006||Big Momma's House 2||Kevin|
|2007||Ctrl Z||Ben Pillar||Short film|
|2008||The Tiffany Problem||Zac||Short film|
|2008||An American Carol||Lab Tech 1|
|2008||Shades of Ray||Ray Rehman|
|2009||Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel||Toby Seville|
|2010||Byron Phillips: Found||Byron Phillips||Short film|
|2010||Tangled||Flynn Rider/Eugene Fitzherbert||Voice|
|2010||Under the Boardwalk: The Monopoly Story||Narrator||Voice|
|2011||No Rest For the Wicked: Moebius and Basil Adventures||Moebius||Short film|
|2012||Tangled Ever After||Flynn Rider/Eugene Fitzherbert||Voice; short film|
|2012||Defeat the Label||Short film|
|2013||Thor: The Dark World||Fandral|
|2001||Untitled Sisqo Project||TV Movie|
|2002||Big Shot: Confessions of a Campus Bookie||Adam||TV Movie|
|2002–2006||Less than Perfect||Kipp Steadman||81 episodes|
|2003||See Jane Date||Grant Asher||TV Movie|
|2004||The Division||Todd||2 episodes|
|2004||Curb Your Enthusiasm||Bellman||Episode: "Opening Night"|
|2005||Brody & Friends||Zac||Episode: "The Hollywood Lifestyle"|
|2006||Worst Week of My Life||Nick||Episode: "Pilot"|
|2007||Imperfect Union||Clark||TV Movie|
|2007–2012||Chuck||Chuck Bartowski||91 episodes; also director of 3 episodes|
|2011||Team Unicorn||Young Lover||Episode: "Alien Beach Crashers"|
|2011||2011 Spike Video Game Awards||Host|
|2012||4 Points||Himself||Episode: "Zachary Levi"|
|2012||Robot Chicken||Various voices||Episode: "Poisoned by Relatives"|
|2013||Remember Sunday||Gus||TV Movie|
|2014||Hollywood Game Night||Himself||Episode: "50 Charades of Grey"|
|2014||A Christmas Tail||TV Movie|
|2015||Star Wars Detours||Biff Tarkin||Voice; post-production|
|2015-||Heroes Reborn||TBA||13 Episodes|
|2012||Video Game High School||Ace||3 episodes|
|2013||Tiny Commando||Tiny Commando||7 episodes|
|2010||Halo: Reach||Trooper 4|
|2010||Fallout: New Vegas||Arcade Gannon|
|2013–2014||First Date||Aaron||Longacre Theatre|
- "Terrified" (2010) – Performed by Katharine McPhee featuring Zachary Levi.
- "I See the Light" (2010) – Performed by Zachary Levi and Mandy Moore for the film Tangled.
- "First Date (Original Broadway Cast Recording)"
Awards and nominations
|2010||Tangled||Broadcast Film Critics Association Award for Best Song||Nominated|
|2010||Tangled||World Soundtrack Academy Award for Best Original Song Written Directly for a Film||Nominated|
|2010||Tangled||Teen Choice Award Choice Animated Movie: Voice||Nominated|
|2007||Chuck||Satellite Award Best Actor in a Series, Comedy or Musical||Nominated|
|2008||Chuck||Teen Choice Award Choice TV Breakout Star Male||Nominated|
|2009||Chuck||Ewwy Award for Best Leading Actor in a Comedy Series||Won|
|2010||Chuck||Saturn Award Best Actor on Television||Nominated|
|2010||Chuck||Ewwy Award for Best Leading Actor in a Comedy Series||Nominated|
|2010||Chuck||Teen Choice Award Choice TV Actor: Action||Won|
|2011||Chuck||TV Guide Award for Favorite Couple Who Have (shared with Yvonne Strahovski)||Won|
|2011||Chuck||Teen Choice Award Choice TV Actor: Action||Nominated|
|2012||Chuck||Teen Choice Award Choice TV Actor: Action||Nominated|
|2013||First Date||Theatre World Award for Outstanding Broadway Debut Performance||Won|
- "Zachary Levi". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- Wyatt, Edward (September 30, 2007). "Super Nerd Is Out to Save the World". The New York Times. Retrieved August 21, 2010.
- "Anytime with Bob Kushell feat. Zach Levi". Anytime with Bob Kushell. Season 1. Episode 8. February 5, 2009.
- Lisotta, Christopher (May 16, 2005). "SPECIAL REPORT: Upfront Navigator". Television Week 24 (20). pp. 32–37.
- Stransky, Tanner (August 9, 2010). "2010 Teen Choice Awards winners announced". EW. Retrieved March 8, 2011.
- Markovitz, Adam; Tanner Stransky (March 3, 2008). "30 Under 30: The Actors". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved March 10, 2009.
- Corliss, Richard (January 11, 2010). "Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel". Time. 175 (1):51.
- Wright, Anders (March 2, 2011). "Rolling the dice". San Diego City Beat. Retrieved March 25, 2011.
- Webb, Charles (2011-12-05). "Spike VGAs Interview: Meet Your Host, Zachary Levi". MTV. Retrieved 2011-12-07.
- "TV's 100 Sexiest Men of 2011". BuddyTV. Retrieved January 13, 2012.
- "Pilot Scoop: Zach Levi to Headline Fox's Let It Go". TvLine. Retrieved February 13, 2012.
- "'Thor 2': Zachary Levi Eyed For Fandral, Josh Dallas Out Of Film". huffingtonpost. June 6, 2012. Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- Carlson, Adam (May 20, 2013). "Zachary Levi made his Broadway debut in 'First Date'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved August 19, 2013.
- Ausiello, Michael (January 16, 2015). "Zachary Levi to Lead Heroes Reborn Miniseries on NBC". TVLine. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- Ausiello, Michael (January 7, 2015). "Chuck Vet Zachary Levi to Play Abraham Lincoln in Deadbeat Season 2". TVLine. Retrieved January 16, 2015.
- "Terrified featuring Zachary Levi on Entertainment Weekly". Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- "Terrified premieres on Vevo today!". Retrieved 2011-08-03.
- Carlozo, Louis R. (April 4, 2006). "Grown". Christian Century 123 (7). p. 55.
- Skerry, Kath (February 27, 2011). "Zachary Levi Sings at the Oscars (Video)". Give Me My Remote. Retrieved March 8, 2011.
- Carolla, Adam (July 16, 2010). "Zach Levi". CarCast. Retrieved September 12, 2010.
- Nygaard, Sandra (October 2007). "With a name like Levi, he's gotta know jeans". Men's Health 22 (8): 134.
- "Q&A With Zachary Levi". Relevant Magazine. Retrieved October 13, 2009.
- "Zac Launches The Nerd Machine". ChuckTV.net. Retrieved September 24, 2010.
- Sands, Rich (February 1, 2011). "Justin Bieber, Ty Burrell and Zachary Levi Hoop It Up for NBA All-Star Celebrity Game". TV Guide. Retrieved October 3, 2012.
- Marquina, Sierra. "Zachary Levi Secretly Marries Girlfriend Missy Peregrym In Maui: Pic – Us Weekly". Usmagazine.com. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Yahoo!’s Fall Comedy Lineup Set to Launch on September 9, 2013 with Eight Original Shows and the Exclusive Saturday Night Live Archive Clips – Ratings". TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Ed Helms, Zach Levi Star in 'Tiny Commando' for Yahoo (Exclusive)". TheWrap. 2013-04-26. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
- "Tomb Raider (The Final Hours: Surviving Together)". viddler.com. January 8, 2013. Retrieved August 19, 2013.
- "iTunes – Music – First Date (Original Broadway Cast Recording) by Various Artists". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-09-24. Retrieved 2014-06-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Zachary Levi.|
- Official website
- Zachary Levi at the Internet Movie Database
- Zachary Levi at AllMovie
- Zachary Levi at TVGuide.com
- Official Twitter Account