1693 in science
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|List of years in science (table)|
|... 1683 . 1684 . 1685 . 1686 . 1687 . 1688 . 1689 ...
1690 1691 1692 -1693- 1694 1695 1696
... 1697 . 1698 . 1699 . 1700 . 1701 . 1702 . 1703 ...
|Art . Archaeology . Architecture . Literature . Music . Philosophy . Science +...|
- Edmond Halley publishes an article in Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society on life annuities featuring a life table constructed on the basis of statistics from Breslau provided by Caspar Neumann.
- Publication of Charles Plumier's first work, Description des plantes de l'Amérique, in Paris, principally devoted to ferns.
- Bernard Frénicle de Bessy's Des quarrez ou tables magiques, a treatise on magic squares, is published posthumously, describing all 880 essentially different normal magic squares of order 4.
Physiology and medicine
- Flemish anatomist Philip Verheyen, in his widely used text Corporis Humani Anatomia, is the first to record the name of the Achilles tendon.
- Elisabeth Hevelius, Danzig astronomer (born 1647)
- Elias Tillandz, Swedish physician and botanist in Finland (born 1640)
- Chapter XV, p. 328: "quae vulgo dicitur chorda Achillis".