1874 in association football
(Redirected from 1874 in football (soccer))
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The following are the association football events of the year 1874 throughout the world.
- February 10 - The Football Association authorized referees to send off players. Before, the squad captains decided sending off.
- March 7 - At Hamilton Crescent in Glasgow, Scotland won 2-1 against England, (attendance: 7,000).
- March 14 - Third FA Cup is won 2-0 by Oxford University against Royal Engineers in a final played at the Kennington Oval in London (attendance: 2,000).
- March 21 - First Scottish Cup is won 2-0 by Queen's Park against Clydesdale (attendance at Hampden Park: 3,000).
- The Football Association makes a rule change so that teams change ends at half time.
- The first shin pads are introduced.
Clubs founded in 1874
- April 20: Steve Bloomer, English footballer
- April 25: Tom Booth, English footballer
- November 2: Thomas Baddeley, English footballer
- November 2: Herbert Banks, English footballer
- 31 December: Walter Bennett, English footballer
- Formed in March.
- Formed as Christ Church.