2013 Marakkanam violence
2013 Marakkanam violence was a violent clash between Pattali Makkal Katchi (PMK) cadres and Dalit villagers at Marakkanam in Viluppuram district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu, in which two people were killed.
The incident took place on 25 April 2013, the day PMK and Vanniar sangam organised a youth festival in Mamallapuram near Chennai. Police said PMK cadres, who were on their way to attend the youth conference at Mahaballipuram, stopped near a bus stop at a Dalit village near Marakanam and consumed alcohol. When a few villagers questioned them, the PMK men assaulted the villagers and fled the scene.
PMK founder S Ramadoss and party president G K Mani were arrested on 30 April in Villupuram who want the probe in the incident. This arrest spread the violence across the Tamil Nadu PMK cadres stoned the buses to protest against the arrest of their leaders. In the districts of Thiruvannamalai, Villupuram, Cuddalore, Vellore and Kanchipuram, some 1,601 buses were not operated even during day time due to violence. The violence took place till the release of S Ramadoss who was released on 11 May from Tiruchirapalli Central Prison. Totally, 853 buses were damaged and 165 trees were cut down during violence. The Government of Tamil Nadu threaten to ban PMK party over the violence.
- "Two killed after violence in Marakkanam near Chennai". The Times of India. 2013-04-26. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Special Correspondent (2013-04-29). "CM holds PMK, Vanniyar Sangam responsible for Marakkanam riots". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- TNN (2013-04-26). "Two killed after violence in Marakkanam near Chennai". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- Special Correspondent (2013-04-30). "Ramadoss, Mani held for demonstration bid". The Hindu. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- TNN (2013-05-03). "Violence continues in TN as PMK protests Ramadoss arrest". The Times of India. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "853 buses damaged, 165 trees cut down during PMK violence: Jayalalithaa". The Times of India. 2013-05-13. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "PMK founder S Ramadoss released from prison, slams Jayalalithaa govt". Indian Express. 2013-05-11. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
- "Jayalalithaa threatens to ban Ramadoss' PMK over Marakkanam violence". Indian Express. 2013-05-13. Retrieved 2013-06-03.
|This Tamil Nadu related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|