|Millennium:||1st millennium BC|
|Centuries:||6th century BC – 5th century BC – 4th century BC|
|Decades:||530s BC 520s BC 510s BC – 500s BC – 490s BC 480s BC 470s BC|
|Years:||503 BC 502 BC 501 BC – 500 BC – 499 BC 498 BC 497 BC|
|500 BC by topic|
|Gregorian calendar||500 BC|
|Ab urbe condita||254|
|Ancient Egypt era||XXVII dynasty, 26|
|- Pharaoh||Darius I of Persia, 22|
|Ancient Greek era||70th Olympiad (victor)¹|
|Chinese calendar||庚子年 (Metal Rat)
2197 or 2137
— to —
辛丑年 (Metal Ox)
2198 or 2138
|Coptic calendar||−783 – −782|
|Ethiopian calendar||−507 – −506|
|- Vikram Samvat||−443 – −442|
|- Shaka Samvat||N/A|
|- Kali Yuga||2602–2603|
|Iranian calendar||1121 BP – 1120 BP|
|Islamic calendar||1155 BH – 1154 BH|
|Minguo calendar||2411 before ROC
|Thai solar calendar||43–44|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 500 BC.|
The year 500 BC was a year of the pre-Julian Roman calendar. In the Roman Empire it was known as the Year of the Consulship of Camerinus and Longus (or, less frequently, year 254 Ab urbe condita). The denomination 500 BC for this year has been used since the early medieval period, when the Anno Domini calendar era became the prevalent method in Europe for naming years.
- Vulca makes Apollo of Veii, from Portonaccio Temple. It is now kept at Museo Nazionale di Villa Giulia, Rome.
- The Nordic Bronze Age civilization ends and the Pre-Roman Iron Age begins in Scandinavia, according to the Oscar Montelius periodization system (approximate date).
- Darius I of Persia proclaims that Aramaic be the official language of the western half of his empire.
- Refugees from Teos resettle Abdera.
- Bantu-speaking people migrate into south-west Uganda from the west. (approximate date)
- The Hutu tribe begins around this time, in Middle and Southern Africa.
Egypt Started In 500 BC
- The first republic in Vaishali, Bihar, India is founded.
- Kingdom of Pratipalapura (Modern Bhattiprolu in Guntur district, Andhra Pradesh) in existence.
- Yayoi period starts in Ancient Japan (approximate date).
- The oldest known Zapotec writing appears (approximate date).
- The Olmecs establish Monte Albán, the sacred city, and continue building pyramids. Founded toward the end of the Middle Formative period at around 500 BC, by the Terminal Formative (ca.100 BC-AD 200) Monte Albán soon becomes the capital of a large-scale expansionist polity that dominates much of the Oaxacan highlands and interacts with other Mesoamerican regional states, such as Teotihuacan to the north (Paddock 1983; Marcus 1983).
- World population reaches 100,000,000—the population is 85,000,000 in Eastern hemisphere and 15,000,000 in Western Hemisphere, primarily Mesoamerica (Mexico, Central America, Colombia, Peru, Venezuela).
Arts and culture
- She-Wolf, with late 15th century or early 16th century additions (twins), is made. It is now kept at the Museo Capitolino in Rome (approximate date).
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (June 2013)|
How the world looked
- an average of figures from different sources as listed at the US Census Bureau's Historical Estimates of World Population