5th Space Launch Squadron
|5th Space Launch Squadron
A 5th Space Launch Squadron airman shows the Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force an Atlas V rocket on the launch pad
|Branch||United States Air Force|
|Part of||Air Force Space Command|
|Garrison/HQ||Patrick Air Force Base|
|Decorations||Air Force Outstanding Unit Award|
|5th Space Launch Squadron emblem (approved 3 January 1995)|
The United States Air Force's 5th Space Launch Squadron is a space launch unit located at Patrick AFB, Florida. The 5th SLS is tasked with launch and support of the Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicles.
The 5th Space Launch Squadron was activated on 14 April 1994 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida as part of the 45th Space Wing. The squadron conducted Titan IV booster launch operations, launching classified military payloads into orbit until it was inactivated in June 1998.
- Constituted as the 5th Space Launch Squadron on 29 March 1994
- Activated on 14 April 1994
- Inactivated on 29 June 1998
- Activated on 1 December 2003
- Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida, 14 April 1994 – 29 June 1998
- Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida, 1 December 2003 – present
- Robertson, Patsy (9 September 2008). "Factsheet 5 Space Launch Squadron (AFSPC)". Air Force Historical Research Agency. Retrieved 11 August 2018.