International release DVD cover
|Music by||Devi Sri Prasad|
|Edited by||V. T. Vijayan|
|Distributed by||Gemini Productions|
|9 December 2005|
Aaru (English: Six) is a 2005 Indian Tamil language gangster film written and directed by Hari. It stars Suriya and Trisha in lead roles. The film's score and soundtrack were composed by Devi Sri Prasad. The film released on 9 December 2005 and was an average hit at the box office.
Aarumugam (Suriya) is a thug and dealmaker with a band of boys handpicked from the slums of Chennai. Aaru was just a child when his parents passed away on different occasions. Being an orphan, he was brought up by Vishwanathan's (Ashish Vidyarthi) wife. Aaru is very devoted to Vishwanathan, whom he respects as his brother, and is ready to go miles for keeping him the most powerful person in Chennai. Vishwanathan protects Aaru because the latter gives him the violent undercover that he needs. When Vishwanathan declares war on his bitter rival Reddy (Jaya Prakash Reddy), Aaru assists him. In the process, he is attacked by Reddy's goons, but he overpowers this attempt. Things were going on smoothly when Aaru has to help Vishwanathan on an errand in protecting a girl from being dragged into a hit-and-run case. This is where he meets Mahalakshmi (Trisha Krishnan). Later on, Mahalakshmi puts forward her proposal, which Aaru declines, and slaps her. Aaru understands this and goes out to invite her to his life. Meanwhile, Vishwanathan plots to kill Aaru's friends during a protest which was oragnised by him. Aaru smells something fishy about this event and is misguided by Vishwanathan that Reddy is behind the mishap. Aaru sets out to kill Reddy and finds out that he was betrayed by Vishwanathan. Aaru realizes Vishwanathan's true, evil nature and vows to destroy his power. Aaru carefully takes out Vishwanathan's two brothers. In the climax, Aaru is seen traveling out of Chennai with Mahalakshmi without anyone knowing his location.
- Suriya as Aarumugham 'aka' Aaru, local rowdy and Vishwanathan's goon
- Trisha as Mahalakshmi, college student and Aaru's love interest
- Vadivelu as Sumo (Sundi Mothiram), Aaru's friend
- Ashish Vidyarthi as Vishwanathan, founder of Nathan & Co. and the underworld don
- Kalabhavan Mani as Police Officer
- Malavika Avinash as Vishwanathan sister, Police Officer's wife
- Jaya Prakash Reddy as Reddy, Vishwanathan's enemy
- Thambi Ramaiah as Sumo's teammate
- Delhi Ganesh as Iyer, area mate
- Aishwarya as Saroja, area rowdy
- Nizhalgal Ravi as Mahalakshmi's father
- Crane Manohar as Slum Dweller
- Singamuthu as Slum Dweller
- Raj Kapoor as Bhoominathan
- Aryan as Jegannathan aka Jega
- Mohammed Masthan as Loganathan
- Priyanka as Bus Conductor's wife
- Ambani Shankar
- Bonda Mani
- Madhan Bob
- Kalyan (special appearance in the song "Nenjam Enum")
After directing Ayya, Director Hari announced his next project Aaru with Surya, film was launched and shooting was started in July 2005. Director Saran made his debut as a producer in this film by floating a production house "Gemini Productions".
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Producer||Devi Sri Prasad|
|Devi Sri Prasad chronology|
The soundtrack was composed by Devi Sri Prasad and released by Star Music in India and Ayngaran in other international territories. The album was made up of 6 tracks. The audio was launched in a soft manner. The soundtrack was rerecorded for the Telugu release but retained most of the original singers.
|Soda Bottle||Shankar Mahadevan, Saaki Mukhesh|
|Freeya Vudu||Mukhesh, MLR Karthikeyan, Vadivelu, Jassie Gift, Grace Karunas|
|Thottutea||Karthik, Sunitha Sarathy|
|Nenjam Enum (Bit)||Gopika Poornima|
|Nenjam Enum||Srinivas, Kalpana|
The film was released on 9 December 2005 alongside Vetrivel Sakthivel, Sandakozhi. The film was given an "A" certificate by the Indian Censor Board due to excessive violence. After the success of Ghajini, Surya has an opening similar to as Aaru releases with approximately 171 prints in Tamil Nadu, the opening weekend tickets for Surya’s Aaru have been sold out in Chennai city theatres.
Sify wrote:"Aaru offers neither insight nor content-just unmitigated violence".
- sathishk (2 January 2006). "Aaru (Tamil) – Movie Review".
- "Nenjam Enum (Full Song) - Aaru". Youtube. 8 April 2013. Retrieved 28 October 2015.
- "Events – 'Aaru' Movie Launch". IndiaGlitz. 4 August 2005. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Aaru to hit floors on 28 July – Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz. 20 July 2005. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Tamil movies :It will be Aaru After Ghajini". Behindwoods.com. 7 September 2005. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Hari directs Charan's film". Behindwoods. 10 May 2005. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- Moviebuzz (November 12, 2005) 'Aaru' audio launched! sify.com
- "`Aaru` gets 'A' certificate!". Sify.
- "`Aaru`- Opening big!". Sify.
- "Aaru review. Aaru Telugu movie review, story, rating". IndiaGlitz.com.
- "Aaru Telugu Movie Review – cinema preview stills gallery trailer video clips showtimes". IndiaGlitz. 11 December 2005. Retrieved 2012-08-04.
- "Review : (2005)". www.sify.com.