Actor in Law
|Actor In Law|
First look poster
|Urdu||ایکٹر ان لاء|
|Directed by||Nabeel Qureshi|
Fizza Ali Meerza|
|Written by||Fizza Ali Meerza|
|Music by||Shani Arshad|
|Edited by||Asif Mumtaz|
|Distributed by||Urdu 1 Pictures|
|1 Hour 56 Min/116 Minutes|
|Budget||₨ 10 crore|
|Box office||₨ 30 crore|
Actor in Law is a 2016 Pakistani socio-comedy film directed by Nabeel Qureshi, co-written and produced by Fizza Ali Meerza. The film was released on Eid-ul-Adha 2016. by Urdu 1 Pictures. Its cast includes veteran actor Om Puri on screen, who died on 6 January 2017 suffering Cardiac arrest. On 19 April 2017, it received the Best Film award at the 16th Lux Style Awards.
Fahad Mustafa stars as an up-and-coming lawyer who employs theatrics and over-the-top one-liners in the courtroom. He aspires to become an actor, something which is met with disapproval from his father. His world is turned upside down when he is faced with a case that shakes the foundation of the country and threatens his career and family. Will he be able to use his theatricality and knowledge of the law to ensure justice?
- Fahad Mustafa as Shan Mirza
- Om Puri as Rafaqat Mirza
- Mehwish Hayat as Meenu Screwala
- Lubna Aslam as Shan's mother
- Saboor Ali as Annie Mirza
- Alyy Khan as Muddasir Sultan
- Anoushay Abbasi as Meenu's Friend
- Irfan Motiwala as Fridge Man
- Saife Hassan as Guddu Mamu
- Saleem Mairaj as Mehboob Bhai
- Nayyar Ejaz as a Lawyer
- Rehan Sheikh as a Lawyer
- Talat Hussain as a Judge (Cameo)
- Kaizer Behram Irani as Meenu's Mother
- Noor ul Hassan
- Rashid Khawaja as a Judge (Cameo)
- Ahson Talish as a Politician
- Humayun Saeed as himself
- Mahira Khan as herself
- Atif Aslam as himself in music video "Dil Yeh Dancer Hogaya"
- Nabeel Qureshi as himself in title song "Actor In Law"
- Annas Kashif as himself
- Ali Zafar as himself on Billboard
- Imran Abbas as himself on billboard
- Ayeza Khan as herself on billboard
Development and production
The film is directed and produced by Nabeel Qureshi and Fizza Ali Meerza and is their second project after Na Maloom Afraad. The details about the film were unveiled by Nabeel Qureshi and Fizza Ali Meerza at a press conference in Karachi on 9 January 2016. The press conference was also attended by Fahad Mustafa, Mehwish Hayat, Alyy Khan and Om Puri. The producer Fizza revealed that the film stars Fahad Mustafa and Mehwish Hayat. Indian actor Om Puri will make his Lollywood debut in the film. The cast also includes Talat Hussain, Alyy Khan, Rehan Sheikh, Saife Hassan and Rashid Khawaja. Indian actor Om Puri told that he signed the film because the script is different and unique. He also told the title Actor In Law is suggested by him. "I didn’t know this team personally when I was approached for the film. But I was aware of the fact that Pakistani films have improved a lot." said Om Puri. The director Nabeel Qureshi said that this film is a different story just like Na Maloom Afraad. "Rather than telling jokes, I enjoy telling stories. And audiences can expect the same with Actor In Law as well since it has a very unique story," said Qureshi. Cinematography was by Rana Kamran. It was distributed locally and internationally by Urdu 1. It was the first film distribution by Urdu 1. The film was scheduled for release on Eid al-Adha in mid 2016.
Title poster of film was released in February 2016 while the first look poster was revealed on June 24, 2016 via social media. Director claimed that, Indian actor Om Puri will also come to Pakistan for the promotional purpose of his debut Pakistani film. On 28 June 2016, the trailer launch event was held in PC Hotel, Karachi where character posters were also unveiled. According to the Pakistani box office reports, the lollywood movie Actor in Law collected over 10 crores in just 5 days in Pakistan which is the second best performance by a Pakistani movie after Jawani Phir Nahi Ani.
|Actor In Law|
|Soundtrack album by Shani Arshad|
|Released||1 August 2016|
|Producer||Fizza Ali Meerza|
|Shani Arshad chronology|
|Singles from Actor in Law|
All music composed by Shani Arshad.
|1.||"Khudaya"||Mohsin Abbas Haider||Rahat Fateh Ali Khan||3:58|
|3.||"Dil Dancer"||Shani Arshad, Nabeel Qureshi, Fizza Ali Meerza||Atif Aslam||3:44|
|4.||"Actor In Law"||Nabeel Qureshi, Fizza Ali Meerza||Shani Arshad||3:09|
|5.||"Actor In Law" (Reprise)||Nabeel Qureshi, Fizza Ali Meerza||Junaid Younis||3:09|
Actor in Law released in UAE, UK, and Middle East on September 8, 2016. The film was released nationwide on September 13 (Eid al-Adha) alongside Azfar Jafi's romantic comedy Janaan and Anjum Shahzad's romantic drama Zindagi Kitni Haseen Hay.
Actor in Law opened to full houses on 13 September 2016. The film managed to exceed expectations and mint ₨ 1.6 crore on its first day. Numbers continued to grow on 14 September and the film minted ₨ 2.35 crore on its second day. Film managed to register mark of ₨ 5.74 crore at the end of its first weekend. On 16 September 2016, Urdu 1 pictures announced that the film had collected a total of ₨ 6 crore over the 3-day Eid Holiday. By 18 September 2016, the film had grossed ₨ 10 crore, domestically. On 25 September 2016, Urdu 1 Pictures announced the film had grossed ₨ 18 crore worldwide.
The film received mainly positive reviews upon its release with many reviewers praising the blend of social commentary and comedy. Praise was also directed at the performances of Fahad Mustafa and Om Puri.
Dawn's Salima Feerasta rated the film 4 out of 5 stars, commenting that the film "makes a strong case for Fahad Mustafa's ascent as cinema's golden boy". Omair Alavi, writing for The News, commended the film for tackling social issues and praised the performances of Fahad Mustafa, Mehwish Hayat and Om Puri. Rafay Mahmood of Express Tribune gave the film 3/5 stars. He felt the film delivered on several accounts but "[didn't] work on as many layers as NMA and [did] not have the same shock value". Sami Saayer, also writing for Express Tribune, was more encouraging of the film, comparing it to "Manmohan Desai's brand of Cinema".
Shahjehan Saleem, writing for HiP, gave the film 4.5/5 and wrote, "Whether it is the language, which borders close to the Karachiwala slang, or the rustic urban sprawl of Karachi, where it’s based, the film screams life in a metropolis."
Hamza Shafique of Dubai Desi Reviews commented, "Playable Music, believable acting, laugh out loud comedy and stirring messages makes 'Actor In Law' a must go this Eid. I left cinema entertained , I go with 3 desi stars."
|16th Lux Style Awards|
|International Pakistan Prestige Awards 2017||
|Pakistan International Film Festival||
- "'Actor in Law' is a romantic comedy that highlights social issues". hip. Wajiha Jawaid. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- "Om Puri's first Pakistani film to release on Eidul Azha". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 26 June 2016.
- Imdad, Fareeha (20 April 2017). "Lux Style Awards 2017 Winners, Highlights". FHM (Pakistan). Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- Buraq Shabbir. "Om Puri In Town For Actor In Law". The News International. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Om Puri to star in Pakistani flick titled 'Actor-In-Law'". ARY News. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "A first: Veteran actor Om Puri to star in two Pakistani films". Hindustan Times. 10 January 2016. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Om Puri set to star in Na Maloom Afraad duo's next film". DAWN Images. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- "Actor In Law: Om Puri explains all about his Pakistani film". Catch News. 12 January 2016. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Om Puri's first Pakistani film to release on Eidul Azha". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- "Urdu 1 ventures into film distribution with 'Actor in Law'". hip. Wajiha Jawaid. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- "From the makers of 'Na Maloom Afraad' comes 'Actor in Law'". The Express Tribune. 12 January 2016. Retrieved 14 January 2016.
- "Unveiled: First poster of Om Puri's debut Pakistani film". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 26 June 2016.
- "Actor in Law's first look leaves us with a lot of questions". DAWN Images. Retrieved 26 June 2016.
- "Om Puri will be in Pakistan for Actor-in-Law promotions, shares director Nabeel Qureshi". DAWN Images. Irfan ul Haq. Retrieved 26 June 2016.
- Aijaz, Rahul (September 20, 2016). "Box office: 'Actor in Law' leading, 'Janaan' and 'Maalik' catching up". Express Tribune. Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "'Actor in law' soundtrack launched by Atif Aslam". The Express Tribune. 2 August 2016. Retrieved 8 February 2017.
- Actor in Law on SoundCloud by Filmwala Pictures.
- Atif Aslam (28 August 2016). "DIL YEH DANCER". Retrieved 15 August 2017 – via YouTube.
- "Om Puri's 'Actor In Law' out this weekend". Gulf News. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "Om Puri wants to bridge the gap between India and Pakistan". Khaleej Times. Arti Dani. Retrieved 7 September 2016.
- "Actor In Law Two Days Revised Numbers Pakistan :: Good". Boxofficedetail.com. Retrieved 2016-09-19.
- "Actor In Law Eid Weekend Business Pakistan :: Biggest Of 2016". BOD. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- "Actor-in-Law rules box office with Rs 60 million business". Nation.com.pk. Retrieved 2016-09-19.
- "Actor in Law - The Film - Timeline". Facebook. Retrieved 2016-09-19.
- "Review: Actor in Law makes a strong case for Fahad Mustafa's ascent as cinema's golden boy". Images.dawn.com. Retrieved 2016-09-19.
- Alavi, Omair. "A social drama for the ages". Thenews.com.pk. Retrieved 2016-09-19.
- Mahmood, Rafay. "Review: Actor in flaw?". Tribune.com.pk. Retrieved 2016-09-19.
- Saayer, Sami (2016-09-15). "Actor In Law: Manmohan Desai's brand of cinema". Blogs.tribune.com.pk. Retrieved 2016-09-19.
- "In Focus: Actor in Law is an intelligent comedy for the masses". hip. Shahjehan Saleem. Retrieved 15 September 2016.
- "Actor in law - Movie Review". Retrieved 25 April 2017.
- "International Pakistan Prestige Awards Nominations Revealed!". Brandsynario. 11 September 2017. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- Alefyah Hasnain (18 September 2017). "Actor In Law Steals the Limelight at IPPA Awards 2017". Brandsynario. Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- "PIFF concludes with a star-studded awards night". Pakistan Today. 2 April 2018. Retrieved 2 April 2018.