- LTA - Legs, Trunk, Arms
- Use of at least one leg, trunk and arms. Also for those with visual and intellectual impairments. Rowed with standard boats and sliding seats.
- TA - Trunk and Arms
- Only use of trunk muscles. Boat has fixed seat.
- AS - Arms and Shoulders
- Limited trunk control. Boat has fixed seat and rower is strapped at upper chest level to only allow shoulder and arm movements.
At FISA events there are 5 boat events (standard nomenclature is used):
- 4+ Mixed LTA
- 2x Mixed LTA
- 2x Mixed TA
- 1x Men AS
- 1x Women AS
Racing is held over 1,000 m (rather than the standard 2,000 m). In mixed events half the crew must be male and other half female (coxswain may be of either gender and may be able bodied). Single shells for the Arms and Shoulders category must have stabilising pontoons attached to the riggers.
- FISA Para-Rowing page
- Adaptive Rowing on International Paralympic Committee website
- Rowing Canada's Para-Rowing Page
- British Rowing's (UK) Domestic Adaptive Rowing Page
- USRowing's Domestic Adaptive Rowing Page