Akanu Ibiam International Airport
|Akanu Ibiam International Airport
|Owner/Operator||Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN)|
|Elevation AMSL||466 ft / 142 m|
Akanu Ibiam International Airport (IATA: ENU, ICAO: DNEN), also known as Enugu Airport, is an airport serving Enugu, the capital city of Enugu State of Nigeria, and nearby cities, such as Onitsha, Nnewi, Awka, Abakaliki, Nsukka, Okigwe, Afikpo, Ugep, Orlu, Idah, Otukpo and Ogoja. The airport is named after the late Akanu Ibiam (1906-1995), a Medical Doctor and Statesman who hailed from Afikpo in Ebonyi State.
The airport was closed on February 10, 2010, by the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) for the first phase of major renovation and expansion works. The airport was re-opened on 16 December 2010, but the second and third phase of the construction work is still ongoing. The airport is being prepared for its new status as international airport.
The Enugu VOR-DME (Ident: ENG) and non-directional beacon (Ident: EN) are located off the approach end of Runway 26. The VOR is 2.6 nautical miles (4.8 km) out, and the NDB is 1.8 nautical miles (3.3 km) out.
Airlines and destinations
|Air Peace||Abuja, Lagos|
|Arik Air||Abuja, Lagos|
|Med-View Airline||Lagos, Port Harcourt|
|Ethiopian Airlines||Addis Ababa, Lomé|
These data show number of passengers movements into the airport, according to the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria's Aviation Sector Summary Reports.
|Source: Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN). Aviation Sector Reports (2010-2013, 2014, Q3-Q4 of 2015, and Q1-Q2 of 2016,)|
- "Enugu Airport". Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria. Retrieved 4 October 2015.
- Airport information for DNEN from DAFIF (effective October 2006)
- Airport information for ENU at Great Circle Mapper.
- Google Maps - Akanu
- "Enugu Airport Closed for Repairs". THISDAY. 30 November 2009.[dead link]
- President Jonathan Visits Enugu State For Commissioning Of Enugu Airport
- http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/jonathan-opens-enugu-airport/71823/[dead link]
- OurAirports - EN NDB
- OurAirports - ENG VOR
- Passenger Only Aviation Data Report 2010-13 to Q1 2014
- Aviation Sector Summary Report Q4 2014 - Q1 2015
- NIGERIA AVIATION SECTOR Q3-Q4 2015 REPORT
- Nigerian Aviation Sector Summary Report: Q1-Q2 2016