||This article's plot summary may be too long or excessively detailed. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Battlestar Galactica character|
Samuel Witwer as Lt. j.g. Alex "Crashdown" Quartararo in "Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 1
|Portrayed by||Samuel Witwer|
|Title||Lieutenant Junior Grade|
Alex Quartararo (callsign "Crashdown") is a fictional character in the reimagined Battlestar Galactica series, portrayed by Samuel Witwer. His real name, while not given in the series, is Alex Quartararo.
Crashdown is a refugee from the Battlestar Triton who begins serving as Sharon "Boomer" Valerii's electronic countermeasures officer (ECO) on the Battlestar Galactica after she leaves Karl "Helo" Agathon on Caprica. He resents the fact Valerii seems to compare him unfavorably to Agathon. Over time, however, their antagonism matures into a more good-natured teasing.
Crashdown was involved in a developing romantic relationship with Ensign Davis, a junior officer on the Galactica.
Crashdown is a member of a three-Raptor survey party sent to examine the planet Kobol. The Cylons destroy one Raptor above Kobol and severely damage the one carrying Crashdown; the third escapes back to Galactica. The pilot of Crashdown's Raptor is killed; fortunately, Crashdown manages to guide the craft down to a crash landing on the planet's surface. He then takes charge of the survivors as they await rescue, but in the stress of the situation he makes several bad decisions, resulting in the deaths of two of his men.
The survivors soon learn Cylon Centurions are planning to shoot down their rescue ship. Crashdown organizes the critical counterattack, but he bungles the planning, and his squad continues to lose faith in him. When the time comes to attack the Cylons, the entire team is convinced they're heading into a suicide mission. Chief Tyrol openly refuses Crashdown's orders, and Cally is too scared to move. Crashdown becomes frustrated and threatens to execute Cally unless she follows orders. Dr. Baltar saves her life by shooting Crashdown in the back, killing him. Upon being rescued, Baltar claims Crashdown had died leading the charge into battle and should be honored as a hero.
- Crashdown's real name of Alex Quartararo was confirmed by Battlestar Galactica writer Bradley Thompson on the Battlestar Wiki.
- Crashdown's original Battlestar Triton crew patch can be seen on his flight suit in "33".
- Sam Witwer was billed in the secondary credits during the first season, and was changed to a guest star in the episode "Scattered".
- "33". Battlestar Galactica (2004 TV series).
- "The Hand of God". Battlestar Galactica (2004 TV series).
- "Water". Battlestar Galactica (2004 TV series).
- "Kobol's Last Gleaming". Battlestar Galactica (2004 TV series).
- "Scattered". Battlestar Galactica (2004 TV series).
- "Valley of Darkness". Battlestar Galactica (2004 TV series).
- "Fragged". Battlestar Galactica (2004 TV series).
- Alex Quartararo at the Battlestar Wiki