|Born||Carmina Alexis Mateo Pacheco
July 24, 1979
Florida, Puerto Rico
|Occupation||Drag Queen, reality television personality|
Mateo was born and raised in Florida, Puerto Rico and attended the Interamerican University of Puerto Rico in Arecibo. He began his drag career in Puerto Rico's gay nightclub circuit before relocating in 2001 to Orlando, Florida, where he worked as a dancer and performer at Disney World. In addition to his drag career, he is a winning fashion designer and has won the 2001 Inter Fashion Award for Best Fashion Designer.
While residing in Central Florida, he won many gay pageants including Miss Florida US of A, Miss Florida Latina, Miss Orlando, Miss Central Florida, Miss Lakeland, Miss Waterside, Miss Suncoast, Miss Suncoast America, Miss ASAP, Miss Lakeland America, Miss Orlando Latina, Miss Florida International and Sunshine State All American Goddess.
Mateo has been active in AIDS awareness and activism. After being featured in a Gilead Sciences ad titled "Red Ribbon Runway" with fellow Drag Race co-stars Manila Luzon, Delta Work, Shangela Laquifa Wadley and Carmen Carrera, the dress he was featured wearing was auctioned off by Logo in commemoration of World AIDS Day. Proceeds from the auction were donated to the National Association of People with AIDS. In 2012, along with other RuPaul's Drag Race contestants, Mateo appeared in the music video "Queen" by band Xelle (which featured former drag race contestant Mimi Imfurst as a member).
Mateo joined as a cast member on the third season of Logo's reality series, RuPaul's Drag Race, which premiered on the network on January 29, 2011. Mateo won three of the main challenges (Episodes 2, 3, and 9) before making it to the top three, where he was eliminated in the season finale which aired on April 25, 2011.
Mateo served as a guest professor on the third episode of the third season of Drag Race spin-off series RuPaul's Drag U. On August 6, 2012, it was announced that Mateo was one of twelve past Drag Race contestants selected to join the cast of RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race that premiered on the Logo network on October 22, 2012. Teamed with contestant Yara Sofia to form Team Yarlexis, the duo was eliminated in the fourth episode of the series which aired on November 12, 2012.
Mateo resides in Saint Petersburg, Florida, where he performs at gay venues and events both locally and throughout the United States. In April 2011, Mateo along with fellow contestant Yara Sofia launched a boycott of a Tampa beauty supply shop after the two claimed they had been told to leave the store because of their sexual orientation.
- La draga Alexis Mateo tilda de ignorantes a los homofóbicos from Primera Hora, December 29, 2010.
- "North Pinella Pride: Alexis Mateo", northpinellaspride.org, October 2011; accessed July 22, 2015.
- Profile, AlexisMateo.com; accessed July 22, 2015.
- "St. Petersburg queen Alexis Mateo talks about her Drag Race experience", watermarkonline.com, January 19, 2011.
- Red Ribbon Runway. July 26, 2011.
- Spargo, Chris (December 1, 2011). "NOW: Red Ribbon Runway Auction". NewNowNext. Logo. Retrieved 2011-12-02.
- Spargo, Chris (October 25, 2012). "XELLE’s ‘Queen’ Music Video Features Every ‘Drag Race’ Queen: Watch October 25, 2012 ● by Chris Spargo". New Now Next. Retrieved March 6, 2013.
- "RuPaul's Drag Race: Alexis Mateo", HuffingtonPost.com; May 6, 2011.
- "‘RuPaul's Drag U’ Preview: Alexis Mateo & Sex With Food", newnownext.com; July 2, 2012
- RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race cast includes Jujubee, Latrice Royale, Manila Luzon from chicago.gopride.com; August 6, 2012
- "This just in: RDR contestants thrown out of Discount Beauty Supply Store for being gay!", worldofwonder.net, April 20, 2011.
- Alexis Mateo on the Internet Movie Database
- Alexis Mateo on Facebook
- Alexis Mateo Official Fan Page on Facebook
- Alexis Mateo on MySpace
- Alexis Mateo on Twitter
- Alexis Mateo on YouTube