Raven (drag queen)
Raven performing "Imagine It Was Us" by Jessie Ware in June 2014
April 8, 1979
Victorville, California, U.S.
|Occupation||Drag Queen, Reality Television Personality|
David Petruschin (born April 8, 1979), better known by his stage name Raven, is an American drag queen and reality television personality from Riverside, California. He was a contestant on second season of RuPaul's Drag Race. He was first runner-up of season 2, and followed that up with regular appearances on RuPaul's Drag U all three seasons alongside fellow competitors Morgan McMichaels, Pandora Boxx, and Jujubee.
RuPaul's Drag Race
In the Snatch Game episode of the show, he impersonated millionaire heiress Paris Hilton. Raven won the season's first mini-challenge, a photo shoot, in the first episode, "Gone with the Window." His next win came in the "Here Comes the Bride" episode in which the contestants had to decorate a box with something old, something new, and something borrowed, showing their personal style. Raven borrowed Jujubee's raven hat, securing a win. Raven also won the main challenges in the seventh and eighth episodes "Once Upon a Queen" and "Golden Gals", respectively. In the seventh episode, the queens had to create and promote their autobiographies. Raven's book, Young, Broke, and Fabulous, was the winner. In episode 8, the contestants were tasked with making over older gentlemen as their "drag mothers." Raven and his drag mother, Golda LaMae, won the challenge. Although he ended up as the runner-up of the second season's competition, Petruschin has criticized the way he was portrayed on Drag Race and felt the show's editors purposely edited the show's segments in order to portray him as a villain.
Career after RuPaul's Drag Race
In addition to his participation in RuPaul's Drag Race, Petruschin was featured on an episode of America's Next Top Model, Cycle 8, in which he participated in a photo shoot with each of the show's contestants in male drag and paired with a drag queen.
RuPaul's Drag U
Raven was one of many Drag Race alumni who were invited to be as a drag professor in spin-off series RuPaul's Drag U which has screened three seasons. Raven serves as a "drag professor" and mentor to female contestants who are given make-overs. In the series, Petruschin's persona is not portrayed in a villainous fashion, but instead as a softer and nurturing mentor. Raven has so far made a total of ten appearances during the series' run.
RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race
On 6 August 2012, it was announced that Raven was one of twelve past Drag Race contestants selected to join the cast of RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race that premiered on the Logo network on 22 October 2012. Paired with contestant Jujubee to form Team Rujubee the duo managed to make it to the finals which aired on 26 November 2012, where Raven landed as runner-up to winner Chad Michaels. Prior to the airing of the series finale, Raven (along with All Stars contestants Manila Luzon, Latrice Royale, and Tammie Brown) appeared in a television commercial for travel website Orbitz's new portal for LGBT leisure travel.
Featured in a commercial promoting the syndication run of the cable television series Nip/Tuck on the Logo network, Raven lip synchs to the theme song "A Perfect Lie" as he caresses a syringe close to his lips. The commercial is based on one of her past drag performances. He also has made a guest appearance in an episode of Logo's reality series, Pretty Hurts, which documents the life and career of celebrity medical aesthetician Rand Rusher.
Raven made an appearance as drag cameo in a photoshoot on America's Next Top Model cycle 8.
In 2012, along with other RuPaul's Drag Race contestants, Raven appeared in the music video "Queen" by Mimi Imfurst's band Xelle. Raven also starred in the music video "Feed Me Diamonds" by MNDR. In Spring 2014, Raven joined Rupaul's Drag Race Season 3 winner, Sutan Amrull, known as Raja, on World of Wonder's weekly YouTube fashion critique show "Fashion Photo Ruview".
He previously worked as a cosmetics salesperson and as a freelance makeup artist before pursuing a full-time drag career. He currently hosts several drag-related events at gay clubs throughout Southern California.
- LOGO On-line. "RuPaul's Drag Race 2: Cast Bios". LOGO On-line. Retrieved 2009-12-06.
- "Raven". RuPaul's Drag Race. Logo. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- "RuPaul's Drag Race Season 2". Retrieved 22 May 2010.
- Juzwiak, Rich (April 27, 2010). "RuPaul's Drag Race Season 2, The Runner-Up Exit Interview: Maybe Gone, But Never Forgotten!". NewNowNext.com. Logo. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- Polly, John. "Drag Race Daily: Start Studying! RuPaul's Drag U Will be in Session this Summer. Watch a Preview". NewNowNext on Logo. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- O'Wisdom, Pearl (March 15, 2010). "RuPaul’s Drag Race: Here Comes the Bride". Poptimal. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- Stranksy, Tanner (March 23, 2010). "'RuPaul's Drag Race' recap: The queens throw shade and shill books". Popwatch. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- Stransky, Tanner (March 30, 2010). "'RuPaul's Drag Race' recap: Drag mamas, Cloris Leachman, and the season's most controversial elimination!". Popwatch. Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- D, Jacob (March 30, 2010). "RuPaul's Drag Race: Mom's And Babies". Reality TV Calendar. Retrieved 23 May 2010.
- "RuPaul's Drag U - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia". En.wikipedia.org. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- RuPaul's All Stars Drag Race cast includes Jujubee, Latrice Royale, Manila Luzon from chicago.gopride.com; 06 August 2012
- The Queens Take Vacation Back: Orbitz Behind The Scenes from www.newnownext.com 12 November 2012
- Spargo, Chris (25 October 2012). "XELLE’s ‘Queen’ Music Video Features Every ‘Drag Race’ Queen: Watch October 25, 2012 ● by Chris Spargo". New Now Next. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- James, Diego (13 December 2012). "WATCH: Raven in New MNDR Video for 'Feed Me Diamonds'". Out. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- Backlot, The (2011-08-16). "Watch! "Drag U" Episode 208: "A Family That Drags Together!" - thebacklot.com". Afterelton.com. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
|RuPaul's Drag Race runner-up
Season 2 (2010)
Chad Michaels & Phi Phi O'Hara
|RuPaul's Drag Race runner-up
All Stars (2012)
Alaska Thunderfuck 5000 & Roxxxy Andrews