All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health
|Formation||December 30, 1932|
|Purpose||research and training in public health and allied sciences|
|Headquarters||110, Chittaranjan Avenue, Kolkata-700 073|
|Director General of Health Services, New Delhi, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare|
|Affiliations||West Bengal University of Health Sciences|
All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health (AIIH&PH), is a pioneering Indian institute for research and training in public health and allied sciences in Kolkata. It was established on 30 December 1932 with assistance from the Rockefeller Foundation. It functions under Director General of Health Services, New Delhi, Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, Government of India and is now affiliated with West Bengal University of Health Sciences, established in 2003.
Established with the aid of Rockefeller Foundation, AIIHPH was inaugurated by Sir John Anderson, the Governor of Bengal on December 30, 1932. The AIIH&PH was a constituent college of the University of Calcutta. Since its inception, the college is in collaboration with the faculty of the Calcutta School of Tropical Medicine. In 1953, the Institute was accredited by WHO and UNICEF as an International Training Centre. The institute carried out the first village health survey in India in 1944-1945, in which general health survey of nearly 1200 families comprising 7000 members in West Bengal was done. After independence, extension plans were drawn in 1950, cost of 90 lakhs, shared equally by Union Health Ministry and United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund, to build a Child and Maternity Health section at the institute.
In 1995, a public health scientist Dr. Smarajit Jana of AIHPH for Durbar Mahila Samanwaya Committee, sex worker's organisation which works for prevention of HIV/AIDS amongst its 65,000 sex workers. In 2004, the AIIH&PH got affiliated to the newly formed West Bengal University of Health Sciences (WBUHS).
- Bio-Chemistry and Nutrition
- Health Education
- Maternal and Child Health
- Occupational Health
- Public Health Administration
- Public Health Nursing
- Environmental Sanitation and Sanitary Engineering
- Preventive and Social Medicine
- Behavioural Sciences
It is also one of the nine institutions in India, which offer Post-Graduate Diploma in Public Health Management. While the main campus is at Chittaranjan Avenue, in 2011 its second campus at Salt Lake City, Kolkata also became operational.
- About us
- "All India Institute of Hygiene and Public Health". DGFASLI, Mumbai, Ministry of Labour,Government of India.
- Bindeshwar Pathak (1999). Road to Freedom: A Sociological Study on the Abolition of Scavenging in India. Motilal Banarsidass. p. 46. ISBN 9788120812581.
- B. N. Srivastava (1997). Manual Scavenging in India: A Disgrace to the Country. Concept Publishing Company. p. 56. ISBN 9788170226390.
- "India Opens Health Institute Given by Rockefeller Interests". The New York Times, Page 1. December 31, 1932.
- "First Village Health Survey In India". Indian Express. Feb 3, 1948.
- "90-lakh Plan For Training In Maternity Child Health". Indian Express. May 3, 1950.
- "The new rhythms of Sonagachi: As the city's sex workers collective turns 20...". Mint (newspaper). Feb 24, 2012.
- "Post-Graduate Diploma In Public Health Management". Ministry of Health & Family Welfare.