Amanda Township, Hancock County, Ohio
|Amanda Township, Hancock County, Ohio|
Soybean fields south of Vanlue on County Road 26
Location of Amanda Township in Hancock County.
|• Total||27.8 sq mi (71.9 km2)|
|• Land||27.7 sq mi (71.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.1 km2)|
|Elevation||814 ft (248 m)|
|• Density||37.7/sq mi (14.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086239|
Amanda Township is one of the seventeen townships of Hancock County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 1,045 people in the township, 674 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the eastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Biglick Township - north
- Ridge Township, Wyandot County - east
- Richland Township, Wyandot County - southeast
- Delaware Township - southwest
- Jackson Township - west
- Marion Township - northwest
The village of Vanlue is located in northeastern Amanda Township.
Name and history
Amanda Township was first settled on February 25, 1822 by Thomas Thompson. Thompson built a cabin in 1823 and planted the township's first crop that year. He brought his family to the township from Pickaway County in 1824. In 1829, Thompson became Hancock County's first Justice of the Peace. Thompson lived in Amanda Township until his death in Vanlue on October 26, 1873.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Hancock County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Archived (PDF) from the original on 16 March 2007. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- History of Hancock County, Ohio, Chicago: Warner, Beers, 1886, p. 357
- History of Hancock County, Ohio: Geographical and Statistical. 1903, p. 194
- Beardsley, D. B. History of Hancock County: From the Earliest Settlement to the Present Time. Springfield: Republic, 1881, p. 67
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.