The Amazonian Craton is a geologic province located in South America. It occupies a large portion of the central, north and eastern part of the continent. The Guiana Shield and Central Brazil Shield (Guaporé Shield) constitutes respectively the northern and southern exhumed parts of the craton. Between the two shields lies the Amazon Rift, a zone of weakness within the craton. Smaller cratons of Precambrian rocks south of the Amazonian Shield are the Río de la Plata Craton and the São Francisco Craton, which lies to the east.
It has been suggested that the Late Mesoproterozoic–Early Neoproterozoic aged Sveconorwegian Orogen in Fennoscandia could have been caused by a continent–continent collision between the Amazonia and Baltica. The question is open if Telemarkia terrane in Norway was derived from the Amazonian Craton but this possibility does not imply necessarily that there was a continental collision.
- Zandt, George (Spring 2002). "Orogenic Systems: The Andes". University of Arizona.
- Slagstad, Trond; Roberts, Nick M. W.; Markens, Rogens; Røhr, Torkil; Schiellerup, Henrik (2013). "A non-collisional, accretionary Sveconorwegian orogen". Terra Nova 25: 30–37. doi:10.1111/ter.12001.
- Bingen, Bernard; Nordgulen, Øystein; Viola, Giulio (2008). "A four-phase model for the Sveconorwegian orogeny, SW Scandinavia". Norwegian Journal of Geology 88: 43–72.
- Mantovani, Marta S.M.; de Brito Neves, Benjamin B. (2010). "The Paranapanema Lithospheric Block: Its Nature and Role in the Accretion of Gondwana". In Gaucher, Claudio; Sial, Alcides; Haverson, Galen. Neoproterozoic-Cambrian tectonics, global change and evolution: a focus on south western Gondwana. Elsevier. p. 258. doi:10.1016/S0166-2635(09)01619-3.
- Tohver, E.; Trindade, R.I.F.; Solum, G.F.; Hall, C.M.; Riccomini, C.; Nogueira, A.C. (2010). "Closing the Clymene ocean and bending a Brasiliano belt: Evidence for the Cambrian formation of Gondwana, southeast Amazon craton". Geology 38: 267–270. doi:10.1130/G30510.1.
|This palaeogeography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|