Valletta attending The 6th Annual Hollywood Style Awards, Beverly Hills, CA, October 10, 2009
February 9, 1974 |
Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Hervé Le Bihan (1994–1996)
Chip McCaw (2003-2015)
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.75 m)|
Amber Evangeline Valletta (born February 9, 1974) is an American fashion model and actress. She began her career as a fashion model, landing her first of sixteen American Vogue covers at age eighteen. During the 1990s, Valletta reached the status of supermodel, working as the face of Giorgio Armani, Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Valentino, Gucci and Versace, and signing multimillion-dollar cosmetics contracts with Calvin Klein and Elizabeth Arden. From 1995 to 1996, Valletta and her friend and fellow model Shalom Harlow hosted the MTV show, House of Style.
In the 2000s, Valletta began to focus on her career as an actress. She made her acting debut in Drop Back Ten (2000). She then starred in the hit film Hitch (2005). She has since appeared in films such as Transporter 2 (2005), Man About Town (2006), Dead Silence (2007), Gamer (2009), and The Spy Next Door (2010). In 2011, she moved to television, appearing in a recurring role as the fallen socialite Lydia Davis on the ABC prime time soap opera, Revenge. In 2015, Valletta starred as villainous Carla Briggs in another ABC soap opera, Blood & Oil.
Early life and modeling
Valletta was born in Phoenix and raised in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Her mother, Theresa Malaby, worked at the post office. Her father is of Italian and Portuguese descent, and her mother is of part Cherokee ancestry. She attended Booker T. Washington High School. She got her start in the fashion industry when her mother enrolled her in modeling school at the age of fifteen at the Linda Layman Agency. Valletta, along with Kate Moss, Eva Herzigová, Carolyn Murphy and Shalom Harlow, was one of the most recognizable faces of the generation immediately subsequent to the original supermodels. During the 1990s she appeared thirteen times on the cover of American Vogue, second only to Claudia Schiffer's sixteen. She was presented on the November 1999 Millennium cover of American Vogue as one of the "Modern Muses".
Valletta continues to work as a fashion model, most recently closing the Atelier Versace Spring/Summer 2015 fashion show.
Valletta's first role was in the comedy film Drop Back Ten (2000). Later that year, she played a supporting role in the thriller film What Lies Beneath, starring Harrison Ford and Michelle Pfeiffer and directed by Robert Zemeckis. She appeared alongside Nicolas Cage in The Family Man. In 2003, she played Celine in Danny DeVito's Duplex, starring Ben Stiller and Drew Barrymore, and in 2004, she played Martina in Raising Helen, opposite Kate Hudson, Hayden Panettiere, Abigail Breslin, and Helen Mirren.
Valletta's first major film role was as Allegra Cole in Andy Tennant's romantic comedy Hitch. The film was released on February 11, 2005 and was a box office and critical success. She also had a role in Transporter 2, playing the mother of the kidnapped child. She played the female lead in the 2006 independent film The Last Time, co-starring alongside Michael Keaton and Brendan Fraser. In 2007, she starred in the horror film Dead Silence as Ella Ashen, and portrayed the supporting role of Claire in Premonition, starring Sandra Bullock. Also in 2007, Valletta played the leading role in the independent coming-of-age film, My Sexiest Year.
In 2009, Valletta starred alongside Gerard Butler in the science fiction action film, Gamer. The film was released in North America on September 4, 2009 with negative reviews from critics. In 2010, she starred in The Spy Next Door, alongside Jackie Chan, George Lopez, and Billy Ray Cyrus; she played Chan's character's love interest, Gillian. In 2011, she appeared in the ensemble comedy film, Girl Walks into a Bar.
In 2011, Valletta was cast in the recurring role as the socialite Lydia Davis on the ABC television prime time soap opera, Revenge. In 2014, she was regular cast member in the TNT crime drama series, Legends, playing Sean Bean's character's ex-wife. In 2015, Valletta starred in the short-lived ABC prime time soap opera, Blood & Oil. She plays the role of Carla Briggs, the glamorous business partner and new wife of oil tycoon Hap Briggs (Don Johnson).
Valletta also serves as the spokesperson for Oceana's Seafood Contamination Campaign, where she brings awareness of the dangers of mercury poisoning in various kinds of seafood. The decision to join Oceana's campaign was prompted by the mercury-poisoning experience of a friend and the fact that she is a mother of two.
|2000||Drop Back Ten||Mindy Deal|
|2000||What Lies Beneath||Madison Elizabeth Frank|
|2000||The Family Man||Paula|
|2001||Hysteria – The Def Leppard Story||Lorelei Shellist||Television film|
|2001||Max Keeble's Big Move||Ms. Dingman|
|2005||Transporter 2||Audrey Billings|
|2006||Man About Town||Brynn Lilly|
|2006||The Last Time||Belisa|
|2007||My Sexiest Year||Marina|
|2008||Days of Wrath||Jane Summers|
|2010||The Spy Next Door||Gillian|
|2011||Girl Walks into a Bar||Camilla|
|1995-1996||House of Style||Herself||Host|
|2004||Lucky||Sarah||Episode: "Something for Everyone"|
|2005||Punk'd||Herself||Episode 6, Season 4|
|2011–2014||Revenge||Lydia Davis||Recurring role, 14 episodes|
|2014||Legends||Sonya Odum||Series regular, 10 episodes|
|2015||Hot in Cleveland||Ashley||Episode: "Scandalous"|
|2015||Blood & Oil||Carla Briggs||Series regular, 10 episodes|
- "Amber Valletta". Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- "Amber's catwalk glow turns to screen stardom". Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- "Amber Valletta Biography (1974-)". Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- "Amber Valletta on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- "Amber Valletta: The Original Waif - #TBT With Tim Blanks - Style.com". Retrieved February 9, 2015.
- Lee, Helen (April 11, 2007). "Vogue's 'World's Next Top Models' cover". SassyBella.com. Retrieved April 18, 2011.
- "Atelier Versace Spring 2015". style.com. Retrieved May 18, 2015.
- "Gamer". September 4, 2009. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- "Shauna Sand Gets Estranged Hubby Arrested". Gossip Girls. November 26, 2008. Retrieved April 17, 2009.
- Lesley Goldberg. "Amber Valletta to Guest Star in ABC Drama Pilot 'Revenge'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- Nellie Andreeva. "Amber Valletta Cast In TNT Pilot 'Legends' - Deadline". Deadline. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- Nellie Andreeva. "Amber Valletta Joins ABC Drama Pilot 'Boom'; Duo Added To Comedy 'Dr. Ken' - Deadline". Deadline. Retrieved 11 May 2015.
- "Legends star Amber Valletta joins ABC drama pilot Boom". Digital Spy. Retrieved May 16, 2015.
- Celebrity Supporters: Amber Valletta, Actress, Activist, Oceana
- "Amber Valletta: Marks & Spencer's latest top model". Telegraph. October 2, 2012. Retrieved June 18, 2013.
- Lopez, Molly (February 16, 2005). "Amber Valletta". People. Retrieved June 12, 2012.
- Bullock, Maggie (October 28, 2009). "Fashion Spotlight: Amber Valletta". Elle. Retrieved June 12, 2012.
- Suebsaeng, Asawin. "15 Wild Celebrity Campaign Donations From the 2012 Election". Mother Jones. Retrieved November 1, 2012.
- Friedlander, Ruthie (July 10, 2014). "Amber Valletta Bravely Opens Up About Her Struggle With Addiction". Elle. Retrieved August 17, 2014.
- Revitalize (July 11, 2014). "How I Live With Addiction Every Day: Amber Valletta". MindBodyGreen. Retrieved August 17, 2014.
- Amber Valletta at the Internet Movie Database
- Amber Valletta at the Fashion Model Directory
- Amber Valletta at MTV
- Amber Valletta's work on the Oceana Seafood Contamination Campaign
|Host of House of Style
1995–96 (co-host with Shalom Harlow)