Pejić in February 2013
28 August 1991
Tuzla, SR Bosnia and Herzegovina, Yugoslavia (now Bosnia and Herzegovina)
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Hair color||Light blonde|
Andreja Pejić (English: / /; born Andrej Pejić,[note 1] 28 August 1991) is an Australian model. Before coming out as a trans woman in late 2013, Pejić was known as the first completely androgynous supermodel. Today, she is one of the most recognisable transgender models in the world.
Pejić was born in Tuzla, Yugoslavia (now part of Bosnia and Herzegovina) and has one older brother, Igor. Her mother, Jadranka Savić, is a Bosnian Serb, and her father, Vlado Pejić, is a Bosnian Croat. The couple divorced shortly after Pejić's birth. During the Bosnian War, Pejić and Igor fled to Serbia with their mother and grandmother, settling in a refugee camp near Belgrade. After the refugee camp, the family settled in Vojska village near Svilajnac.
After the 1999 NATO bombing of Yugoslavia, Pejić's mother felt unsafe and decided to initiate the process of emigration to Australia. In 2000, the family moved to Melbourne, Victoria, Australia as political refugees when Pejić was eight years old.
Pejić was scouted as a model just before her 17th birthday while working at McDonald's, though she has also said in an interview that she was scouted at a swimming pool while still in high school in Melbourne.
Pejić was initially notable for modelling both masculine and feminine clothing. In the Paris fashion shows of January 2011, Pejić walked both the men's and women's shows for Jean-Paul Gaultier and the men's shows for Marc Jacobs. In May 2011, her magazine cover for the New York-based magazine Dossier Journal—in which Pejić is pictured taking off a white shirt with long blond locks in curlers—was ruled too risqué by US bookstores Barnes & Noble and Borders, which covered the image with an opaque sleeve. Concerns were expressed that customers would read Pejić, who at the time was presenting as gender fluid, as a topless woman.
At the Stylenite in July 2011, Pejić appeared on the catwalk both in masculine and feminine clothes from Michalsky. The following year, she modeled bridal creations by Spanish designer Rosa Clara at Barcelona's Bridal Week 2013.
In 2011 Pejić ranked No. 18 on the models.com Top 50 Models list, was named one of Out's Most Compelling People, and was ranked No. 98 in FHM magazine's 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2011, an award that was criticized for its hostile tone to transgender individuals, especially transgender women; the magazine referred to Pejić as a "thing", commenting, "Pass the sick bucket." FHM subsequently removed the copy accompanying Pejić's entry and posted an apology.
Pejić has appeared on the covers of international editions of Elle, L'Officiel, Fashion and GQ. Andreja has also appeared in editorials for fashion publications including, Vogue, Elle, I-D, Dazed and Confused, Love, Allure, Purple and Numero.
In September 2014, Pejić announced plans on the Kickstarter crowdfunding platform to create a film about her reassignment surgery and life as a transgender woman. Pejić started off with a modest projected goal of $40,000, ultimately exceeding the target funding goal.
In 2015 Andreja also became the first ever trans woman to sign a cosmetics contract.
In 2016 Andreja was awarded "Best International Female Model" by GQ Portugal and the following year she made history by becoming the first transgender woman to appear on the cover of GQ.
- Serbo-Croatian pronunciation: [ǎndrej pěːjit͡ɕ]
- Schneier, Matthew (5 September 2014). "A Model's Life, Chapter 2". Fashion & Style. The New York Times. Archived from the original on 11 September 2014. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Andreja Pejic". Storm Models. Archived from the original on 16 June 2015. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Andrej Pejic – 98th Sexiest Woman in the World – FHM". YouTube. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- "Andreja Pejic on becoming the most famous transgender model in the world".
- "Mama Andreja Pejića: 'Skoči mi pritisak kad čitam komentare o mom sinu'" [Andrej Pejic's Mother: 'My Pressure Jumps When I Read Comments About My Son']. Blic (in Croatian). Archived from the original on 1 September 2016. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Naš Andrej je lep ko lutka!" [Our Andrej Is Beautiful Like a Doll!]. Alo! (in Croatian). 31 December 2011. Archived from the original on 9 January 2012. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Andrej Pejic Vogue: Androgynous Model Appears Nude in Vogue Brazil". Fashion & Style. Archived from the original on 27 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2013.
- Overington, Caroline (25 March 2013). "Raising My Androgynous Son Andrej Pejic". The Australian Women's Weekly. Archived from the original on 4 October 2013. Retrieved 31 May 2013.
- Williamson, Charlotte (20 February 2011). "Andrej Pejic: Who's that boy?". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Exclusive interview: Andrej Pejic". Sunday Night. YouTube. 13 February 2011. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- Levy, Megan (17 May 2011). "Book Giants Censor Aussie Male Model's Breasts". The Age. Archived from the original on 1 September 2016. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- Sauers, Jenna (16 May 2011). "Barnes & Noble Censors Cover Featuring Androgynous Male Model". Jezebel. Archived from the original on 15 July 2012. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- Thakur, Monami (4 May 2012). "Androgynous Model Andrej Pejic Walks the Ramp for Jean Paul Gaultier". International Business Times. Archived from the original on 27 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Male model Andrej Pejic Shines as Best 'Bride' at Barcelona Bridal Week". Hello!. 9 May 2012. Archived from the original on 1 September 2016. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- Moody, Jon. "FHM's 100 Sexiest Women in the World 2011". FHM. Archived from the original on 29 July 2012. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "Andrej Pejic Is Not a Person". Lela London. 15 December 2011. Archived from the original on 3 January 2013. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- "FHM: Andrej Pejic Apology". FHM. 30 May 2011. Archived from the original on 3 June 2011. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- "Andreja Pejic - Model". MODELS.com. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- "Androgynous Model Andrej Pejic Appears on Britain and Ireland's Next Top Model". Yahoo News. 6 August 2012. Archived from the original on 28 June 2014. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- "The Stars (Are Out Tonight) VIDEO EXCLUSIVE". Facebook. Retrieved 26 February 2013.
- Whitelocks, Sadie (15 October 2013). "From Modeling Womenswear to Playing a Medieval Prince: Male Supermodel Andrej Pejic Makes Acting Debut in First TV Role". Daily Mail. Archived from the original on 27 February 2015. Retrieved 25 February 2015.
- Zuckerman, Blaine (24 July 2014). "Andrej Pejic Now Andreja After Sex Reassignment Surgery". People. Archived from the original on 25 July 2014. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Andrej(A) - The Kickstarter Backed Documentary". Kickstarter. Archived from the original on 30 October 2014. Retrieved 1 September 2016.
- Ungerman, Alex. "Vogue Profiles First-Ever Transgender Model Andreja Pejic". Entertainment Tonight. Archived from the original on 22 April 2015. Retrieved 22 April 2015.
- "Here's The First Transgender Model To Be The Face Of A Cosmetics Company". BuzzFeed. Retrieved 2016-12-10.
- Matera, Avery. "GQ Just Put a Transgender Model on Their Cover for the First Time Ever — And It’s Beyond Beautiful". Teen Vogue. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Andreja Pejić.|