Andrew Robertson (footballer)
Robertson playing for Hull City in 2015
|Full name||Andrew Robertson|
|Date of birth||11 March 1994|
|Place of birth||Glasgow, Scotland|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 18:18, 21 May 2017 (UTC).
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of 01:23, 27 March 2017 (UTC)
Robertson began his senior career with Queen's Park in 2012 before joining Dundee United a year later. His form in his first season as a professional led to him being named SPFA Young Player of the Year and also making his international debut. He joined Hull in July 2014 for a fee of £2.85 million.
Early life and career
Robertson was born in Glasgow He attended St Ninian's High School in Giffnock, East Renfrewshire, from 2006 to 2012, where he captained the football team. He also played for Giffnock Soccer Centre and joined Celtic as a youth, but was released at under-15 level because he was considered to be too small. He then signed for Queen's Park.
Focusing on his studies, Robertson was the brink of starting university at undergraduate degree level before he was called up to the Queen's Park first team at the beginning of the 2012–13 season. He made his debut for the club in the Scottish Challenge Cup, in a penalty shoot out win against Berwick Rangers. He went on to make a total of forty appearances during the season, helping the club to a third-place finish in the Scottish Third Division. His first goal for the club came in a 2–1 defeat to East Stirlingshire on 13 November 2012.
Robertson signed for Scottish Premiership side Dundee United, along with Queen's Park teammate Aidan Connolly, on 3 June 2013. He immediately became part of manager Jackie McNamara's first team plans, making his debut for the club on the opening day of the season in a 0–0 draw with Partick Thistle. On 22 September 2013, Robertson scored his first goal for Dundee United, in a 2–2 draw against Motherwell. He ran from his own half before sending a low left-foot drive in to the goal from 22 yards. Soon afterwards Robertson agreed a new contract with United, until May 2016. He was voted SPFL young player of the month for September 2013 and player of the month for November 2013. On 12 April 2014, Robertson played in the Scottish Cup Semi-final against Rangers at Ibrox, which United won 3–1. In April 2014, Robertson won the PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year award and was also named in the PFA Scotland Team of the Year for the 2013–14 Scottish Premiership.
In July 2014, Dundee United accepted an offer of £2.85 million for Robertson from English Premier League club Hull City. The transfer was completed on 29 July, as Robertson signed a three-year contract with Hull. He made his competitive debut on the opening day of the season in a 1–0 victory away to QPR. Robertson quickly settled at Hull and established himself in the side, winning the club's Player of the Month award for August 2014. His first goal for City came on 3 November 2015 away to Brentford where he opened the scoring in a 2–0 win to put Hull top of the table on goal difference.
Robertson was first named in the Scotland squad for a friendly against Poland on 5 March 2014. He came on as a substitute in the second half, as Scotland won 1–0 in Warsaw. Scotland manager Gordon Strachan said afterwards "Andy came on there and the first time he picked it up he drove about 30 yards. I thought 'that's fantastic'. Absolutely no grey area, I'm going to do what I do. I loved seeing that first touch." Robertson made his first start for the national team in a 2–2 draw with Nigeria on 28 May 2014.
Robertson was selected for the under-21 team in November 2015, as the full national team did not have a fixture.
- Scores and results list Scotland's goal tally first.
|1.||18 November 2014||Celtic Park, Glasgow||England||1–2||1–3||Friendly|
- As of 21 May 2017
|2012–13||Queen's Park||Scottish Third Division||34||2||2||0||3||0||—||2[a]||0||41||2|
|2013–14||Dundee United||Scottish Premiership||36||3||5||2||3||0||—||—||44||5|
|2014–15||Hull City||Premier League||24||0||0||0||0||0||0||0||—||24||0|
- Hull City
- PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year: 2013–14
- PFA Scotland Team of the Year: 2013–14
- SPFL Player of the Month: November 2013
- SPFL Young Player of the Month: September 2013
- "List of Players under Written Contract Registered Between 01/08/2014 and 31/08/2014" (PDF). The Football Association. p. 9. Retrieved 18 August 2015.
- "Dundee United starlet Andy Roberston: Celtic made a small blunder the day they let me go". Daily Record. 7 December 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2014.
- "Ramsdens Cup: Berwick Rangers 2–2 Queen's Park (aet, 2–3 pens)". BBC Sport. BBC. 28 July 2012. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- "Andrew Robertson". 5 August 2013. Retrieved 5 August 2013.[dead link]
- "Dundee Utd sign Queen's Park's Robertson and Connolly". BBC Sport. 3 June 2013. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Dundee United 2–2 Motherwell". BBC Sport. 22 September 2013. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- "Dundee Utd 2–2 Motherwell: Ainsworth stuns Utd". The Scotsman. 22 September 2013. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Dundee secure Robertson extension". Dundee United F.C. 4 October 2013. Retrieved 5 August 2014.
- "Dundee United defender wins player award". Evening Telegraph. 7 December 2013. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- Wilson, Richard (12 April 2014). "Rangers 1–3 Dundee United". BBC Sport. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Three Celtic players make player of year shortlist". BBC Sport. 17 April 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- "Andrew Robertson: Dundee United defender wins PFA prize". BBC Sport. 27 April 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Celtic and Dundee United trios in SPFL Premiership team of year". BBC Sport. BBC. 18 April 2014. Retrieved 24 April 2014.
- Spence, Jim (24 July 2014). "Andrew Robertson: Dundee United agree fee with Hull City". BBC Sport. BBC. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- "Andrew Robertson completes transfer from Dundee United to Hull". STV Sport. 29 July 2014. Retrieved 20 July 2014.
- Mokbel, Sami (16 August 2014). "QPR 0–1 Hull City: Charlie Austin rues penalty miss as James Chester beats Rio Ferdinand to the ball to head home winner". Mail Online. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- Robertson, Neil (17 September 2014). "Andrew Robertson named Hull City's player of the month". The Courier (Dundee). Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- "Brentford 0–2 Hull". BBC Sport. BBC. 3 November 2015. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- BBC Sport – Billy Stark names Scotland Under-21 squad for Euro 2015 ties
- Under-21 – Andrew Robertson – UEFA.com
- "Scott Brown late show gives Scotland impressive win over Poland in Warsaw". The Guardian. 5 March 2014. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
- Campbell, Andy (28 May 2014). "Nigeria 2–2 Scotland". BBC Sport. BBC. Retrieved 24 July 2014.
Scotland's new-look back four, which included Dundee United's Andrew Robertson making his first international start, found themselves under pressure when they conceded possession to Uchebo but Allan McGregor saved the shot.
- "Scotland 1 – 3 England". BBC Sport. BBC. 18 November 2014. Retrieved 20 November 2014.
- "Scotland U21s include Andy Robertson for Ukraine match". BBC Sport. BBC. 2 November 2015. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "A. Robertson". Soccerway. Retrieved 24 November 2014.
- Williams, Adam (28 May 2016). "Hull City 1–0 Sheffield Wednesday". BBC Sport. Retrieved 5 June 2016.