|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014)|
ಆನೇಕಲ್ - ఆనేకల్
|• MLA||B. Shivanna|
|Elevation||915 m (3,002 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Vehicle registration||KA 51|
Anekal (Ānēkal) (Kannada: ಆನೇಕಲ್) is a town and taluk of Bangalore Urban district. It lies in the southern part of the Bangalore metropolitan area around 35 km from downtown Bangalore, located close to Tamil Nadu border.
Kannada, Tamil, Telugu are the most widely spoken languages in Anekal. Anekal is known for the karaga and Dasara festivals. Muthyalamaduvu, a small picnic spot with a small waterfall is five kilometres away from the town.
Anekal is famous for the cereal Ragi which is being grown in the area and is the staple food supporting the agricultural fraternity. Anekal is also called as "Ragiya Kanaja" which means Ragi Depot of Karnataka state.
Anekal, town situated about 35 km from Bangalore, is a municipal town. The origin of the name is not known, though it can be interpreted as ‘hail stone’ in Kannada. The town was founded in about 1603 by Chikka Thimme Gowda of the Sugatur family, the General of Bijapur, after annexing Thimme Gowda’s hereditary possessions of Hoskote, granted him Anekal. He thereupon erected the fort and temple and constructed a large tank. At the time of his grandson Dodda ThimmeGowda, Anekal was annexed by Mysore. The Chief continued, by paying tribute to Mysore. Finally Haidar Ali expelled the rulers, and Anekal became part of Mysore.
Anekal is located at  It has an average elevation of 915 metres (3001 feet)..
As of 2001[update] India census, Anekal had a population of 33,160. Males constitute 52% of the population and females 48%. Anekal has an average literacy rate of 67%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 56% of the males and 44% of females literate. 12% of the population is under 6 years of age. Anekal in Tamil translates to 'Elephant rock'.
- Shirdi Sai Engineering College, a Premier Engineering college in the Bangalore District.
- Shirdi Sai Pre-University College, a PU college from the famous Sairam Group of South India
- Shirdi Sai Nautical Science Academy, a pre-sea course established for the first time in Karanataka
The Govt Urdu Higher Primary School Anekal completed its 100 years old, which is established in the year 1911, celebrated its centenary celebration.
- Regional Theology Extension Center, Jnanajyothi. A Jesuit formation house, belonging to Karnataka Province. The students apart from their regular theological studies are also involved in social service in the nearby villages of Anekal.
- Swamy vivekananda pre-university college a prominent PU college especially for students who look forward for professional courses.
- Alliance University, a private University is a prominent business school and is one of the best and costliest private Business schools in India.
- IIM Bangalore has recently been allotted land to open up a second campus here.
- Lincolm Memorial English School is one of the earlier English medium schools of Anekal.
- Softech Online Computer Education, Computer Software, Hardware, Animation, Networking Training Centre, Vasantharaju Complex, N.R. Road, Anekal Town, Bangalore Dist - 562 106.
- Shri Saraswati Vidyaniketana, Dommasandra one of leading School in Anekal Taluk with Indian Culture and Traditional environment. Always 100% results with Rural Background....
- Anekal is one of the growing towns around Bangalore urban district, with a lot of developments coming up in the vicinity and with major economy generating places like ELectronic City, Jigani and Hosur around it. * Electronics City the pride of India and hub of Bangalore's Information Technology companies is situated in Anekal Taluk.
- Anekal is home to the Jigani Industrial Estate
- Anekal is known for its Silk industry and is home to a number of Skilled Weavers.
- National Park Banergatta Wild life Sanctuary is also part of Anekal Taluk.*
- Anekal has many Educational Institutes namely, High Schools :St. Joseph's High School, ASB, Bharathi Girls High School, Vidhatha High School, Sri manjunatha high school etc..
Primary : Vidhath Convent, Pearl Valley, St Joseph's High school, Saraswati Vidya Mandira, Anekal public School, Jayashree, Lincoln memorial English School, Aravinda, vvm karpur, Sri Guruji Vidyanikethana, etc..
Prarthan computech Computer Education center It is 18 Years Old Computer Training center in Anekal and click@ computer
Even with the presence of many schools and colleges, youngsters from this town travel daily to bangalore to study in various schools and colleges. The Govt Urdu Higher Primary School Anekal completed its 100 years, which is established in the year 1911
List of ancient temples found in Anekal
- Kambada Ganesha temple located in the town center, is well known for its monolithic statue of Lord Ganesha on a long pillar.
- Sri Amrutha Mallikarjuneshwara and Sri Bhramarambika temple are one of the many historical temples located in the town.
- Sri Avimukteshwara Deva (ಶ್ರೀ ಅವಿಮುಕ್ತೇಶ್ವರ ದೇವ) at Neriga village (ನೆರಿಗೆ)this is a powerful god Lord shiva's temple no idea when it may be built, distance 26 km-Bangalore, 27 km-Anekal, 21 km-Hosakote, 26 km-Hosur.
- Temple of Lord Chennakeshava in Anekal believed to have been established by Lord Arjuna
- Sri Madduramma Temple in Huskur, built by the Chola kings belongs to kamma community
- Sri Bandi Mahakaliamma Temple in Marsur Madiwala which is being built by the villagers adjoining seven villages, Shettihalli, Marsur, Bandapur, M. Madivala, Adesonnahati, halehoor Agrahara Naganayakanahali, Besmanahalli ably assisted by the erstwhile Maharajas of Mysore in the late 18th century
- Lord Srirama Temple in Narayanaghatta Village built by the erstwhile Hoysala Kings in the late 15th century
- Sri Hanuman temple is one of the oldest temple in kittur rani chenammaa road
Muthyala muduvu is a famous place, this place has got a water fall, old temple. This place nearly looks like a forest. This place is just 35 km away from the garden city Bangalore. Nature lovers will enjoy. Sri Thimmaraya swamy temple in anekal is also a very famous temple and here the lord thimmraya swamy is believed to be an incarnation of lord tirupati balaji and is swamybu and born out of valmika. Sri Veeranjaniya swamy temple located in Submangala village 5 km from anekal
One More Place of Interest: If you come little away from Anekel town, the road which reach Chandapura, Bangalore - Hosur Highway you would see a beautiful ashram built by VKST - Vishala karnataka Sky Trust.
Subbaraya Shastri, the Brahmin to give the first sketch of Aeroplane belongs to Anekal.
Veteran Kannada actor Late. UdayKumar is from Anekal.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Anekal
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.