Chautagne lock on the Rhone
|Intercommunality||Pays de Seyssel|
|• Mayor (2014-2020)||Bernard Thiboud|
|Area1||29.26 km2 (11.30 sq mi)|
|• Density||39/km2 (100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|INSEE/Postal code||01010 /01350|
|Elevation||238–1,524 m (781–5,000 ft)
(avg. 251 m or 823 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Clafordans or Clafordanes
The commune is located 25 km south of Bellegarde-sur-Valserine and 30 km north by north-west of Aix-les-Bains. Access to the commune is by road D992 from Seyssel in the north passing through the length of the commune and the village to Culoz in the south. There is also access on road D120 which is a highly circuitous route from Lochieu in the west continuing to the village as the D120A and continuing south through the Col du Grand Colombier (1,501m) to Culoz. A railway line passes through the commune from north to south with a station to the east of the village.
The alluvial aquifer fed by the Rhone is threatened by an internal discharge created by the Pechiney Group. Foundry waste, metal dust, and recovered acid from filters have been buried in the Chautagnard marsh with a probable contamination by heavy metals and arsenic.
Neighbouring communes and villages
List of mayors of Anglefort
(Not all data is known)
In 2008 Anglefort had 926 inhabitants (an increase of 3% compared to 1999). The town was the 10,104th largest at the national level, while it was 10,781st in 1999 and 166th out of 419 communes at the departmental level.
In 2009, the commune had 960 inhabitants. The evolution of the number of inhabitants is known through the population censuses conducted in the town since 1793. From the 21st century, a census of municipalities with fewer than 10,000 inhabitants is held every five years, unlike larger towns that have a sample survey every year.[Note 1]
The Électricité de France (EDF) Dam is on the Rhone river in the territory of the commune and there is a factory producing silicon. Formerly the property of the Pechiney Electro-metallurgy group, the factory has passed successively into the hands of Alcan (Canada), and the Anglo-Australian Rio Tinto at the whim of successive buy-backs of this former French industrial flagship.
Sites and monuments
- Two sites are registered as historical monuments in the commune:
- The remains of the Chateau de la Rochette which dominates the Rhone was the seat of the Lordship of Rochette, mentioned in 1407.
- Monseigneur Jacques-François Besson, born in Mieugy, Bishop of Metz from 1824 to 1842
- Anglefort on Lion1906
- Anglefort on Google Maps
- Anglefort on Géoportail, National Geographic Institute (IGN) website (in French)
- Anglefort on the 1750 Cassini Map
- Anglefort on the INSEE website (in French)
- INSEE (in French)
Notes and references
- At the beginning of the 21st century, the methods of identification have been modified by law No. 2002-276 of 27 February 2002  Archived 2016-03-06 at the Wayback Machine., the so-called "law of local democracy" and in particular Title V "census operations" which allow, after a transitional period running from 2004 to 2008, the annual publication of the legal population of the different French administrative districts. For municipalities with a population greater than 10,000 inhabitants, a sample survey is conducted annually, the entire territory of these municipalities is taken into account at the end of the period of five years. The first "legal population" after 1999 under this new law came into force on 1 January 2009 and was based on the census of 2006.
- Inhabitants of Ain (in French)
- Google Maps
- Note by the Robin Hood NGO called The casseroles of Pechiney, dated 6 October 2003 (in French)
- Jean Létanche, The old Castles, Fortified houses, and feudal ruins in the canton of Yenne and Savoy, The History Book of Lorisse, 1907 (ISBN 9782843738135) p. 18. (in French)
- List of Mayors of France (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée PA00116292 Chateau (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA01000327 Chateau of Mieugy Park (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Anglefort.|