It was built by TeleBarbados, and is one of the newer important network connections to the Internet for Caribbean countries in the Windward and Leeward Islands. The company is a joint venture between Leucadia National Corporation and Barbados Light & Power Holdings Limited. It currently extends from Needham's Point, Saint Michael, Barbados to Saint Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands where it interconnects with Global Crossing's world-wide telecommunications network.
The network is being built in 4 phases.
- Phase I (The red phase) links Barbados, to the island of Saint Croix in the United States Virgin Islands.
- Phase II (The grey phase) will see the linking of Barbados firstly to Tobago and then onward to Trinidad further south.
- Phase III (The green phase) will see the link from Trinidad traveling Northward to Grenada, Saint Vincent, and Saint Lucia.
- Phase IV (The blue phase) will see a link extended from Saint Lucia Northward to Martinique, Guadeloupe, Saint Kitts and Saint Croix in United States Virgin Islands
- Barbados (red),
- Grenada (green),
- Guadeloupe (blue),
- Martinique (blue),
- Saint Kitts and Nevis (blue),
- Saint Lucia (green),
- Saint Vincent and the Grenadines (green),
- Trinidad and Tobago (grey),
- United States Virgin Islands (red),
- Total length: 940 km
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-11-10. Retrieved 2006-11-03.