Application release automation
Application Release Automation (ARA) refers to the process of packaging and deploying an application or update of an application from development, across various environments, and ultimately to production.
Relationship with DevOps
ARA tools help cultivate DevOps best practices by providing a combination of automation, environment modeling and workflow management capabilities. These practices help teams deliver software rapidly, reliably and responsibly. ARA tools achieve a key DevOps goal of implementing continuous delivery with a large quantity of releases quickly. 
Relationship with Deployment
ARA is more than just Software deployment automation – its deploying application using structured release automation techniques that allow for an increase in visibility for the whole team. It’s the combination of workload automation and release management tools as they relate to release packages and movement through different environment within your DevOps pipeline. ARA tools help you regulate your deployments, how you create and deploy environments and when and how to deploy releases.
Some specialized ARA tools are: 
|Tool Name||Released by|
|Automic Release Automation||Automic|
|CA Release Automation||CA Technologies|
|Codar||HP Software Division|
|Release Engineer||OpenMake Software|
|Release Lifecycle Management||BMC Software|
|Serena Deployment Automation||Serena Software|
- "Gartner IT Glossary – Application Release Automation (ARA)". Gartner. Retrieved 25 September 2014.
- Garner Market Trends: DevOps – Not a Market, but Tool-Centric Philosophy That supports a Continuous Delivery Value Chain (Report). Gartner. 18 February 2015.
- Humble, Jez; Farley, David (2011). Continuous Delivery: reliable software releases through build, test, and deployment automation. Pearson Education Inc. p. 255-257. ISBN 978-0-321-60191-9.
- Market Overview: Application Release Automation Tools (Report). Forrester. 2015.
- Market Guide for Application Release Automation Solutions (Report). Gartner. 20 July 2015.
- Cool Vendors in DevOps, 2015 (Report). Gartner. 21 April 2015.