|• Total||8,236.54 km2 (3,180.15 sq mi)|
|• Land||7,199.45 km2 (2,779.72 sq mi)|
|• Water||1,037.09 km2 (400.42 sq mi)|
|Area as of January 1, 2014.|
|Population (December 31, 2016)|
|• Density||1.3/km2 (3.5/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
The present municipality was formed in 1974 through the amalgamation of "old" Åre Municipality with the surrounding municipalities Hallen, Kall, Mörsil and Undersåker. The largest village, Järpen, situated in Undersåker, was chosen as the seat of the new entity.
The municipal seat in bold
View of Åre, postcard sent on September 27, 1904 (postal rate 0:05)
The cable car in Åre
Copperhill Mountain Lodge hotel in Åre
- Henrik Lundqvist- goalie for the New York Rangers (NHL), former goalie for the Frolunda Indians (SHL), gold medalist in the Winter Olympics in 2006. Born in Åre, though he moved to båstad, to support his sister's tennis career. He is twins with Joel Lundqvist.
- Joel Lundqvist- center for the Frolunda Indians (SHL), former center for the Dallas Stars (NHL), 2 time world champion. Born in Åre, though he moved to båstad, to support his sister's tennis career. He is twins with Henrik Lundqvist.
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (Microsoft Excel) (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 december 2016" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. February 21, 2017. Retrieved February 21, 2017.
- Statistics Sweden as of December 31, 2005
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Åre Municipality.|
- Åre Municipality - Official site
- VisitAre.com - Tourism site
- Åre Bike Park - Official site
- Åre Bike Festival - Official site
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Åre.|
- www.are-sweden.com - Information on Are Ski resort