Army Day (India)
Army soldiers conduct a drill at the Army Day parade in New Delhi on 15 January 2013
|Venue||Amar Jawan Jyoti at India Gate|
and at all Army Offices and HQs
Army Day is celebrated on 15 January every year in India, in recognition of Field Marshal Kodandera M. Cariappa's (then a Lieutenant General) taking over as the first Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army from General Sir Francis Butcher, the last British Commander-in-Chief of India, on 15 January 1949. The day is celebrated in the form of parades and other military shows in the national capital New Delhi as well as in all headquarters. On 15 January 2020, India celebrated its 72nd Indian Army Day in New Delhi. Army Day marks a day to salute the valiant soldiers who sacrificed their lives to protect the country and its citizens.
While celebrations take place across the country, the main Army Day parade is conducted in Cariappa Parade ground in Delhi cantonment. Gallantry awards and Sena medals are also awarded on this day. In 2020, 15 soldiers were presented with bravery awards. Param Vir Chakra and Ashok Chakra awardees participate in the Army Day parade every year. Military hardware, numerous contingents and a combat display are part of the parade.
- Armed Forces Day in other countries
- "Army Day 2019 LIVE Updates: PM Modi, President pay tribute to heroes from armed forces". The Indian Express. 15 January 2019. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- Newsd (15 January 2019). "Army Day: Facts about Indian Army you must know". News and Analysis from India. A Refreshing approach to news. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "Army Day 2020: Why does India celebrate Army Day on January 15". Business Insider. 14 January 2020. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "PM extends his greetings on Army Day". www.pmindia.gov.in. Retrieved 15 January 2019.
- "Indian Army Day 2020: Date, significance and inspirational quotes". India Today. 14 January 2020. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- Team, Editorial (8 January 2018). "Indian Army Day". SSBToSuccess. Retrieved 11 January 2018.
- Singh, Rahul (15 January 2020). "Why is Jan 15 special for army and 10 things you should about Army Day". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
- "72nd Army Day: All you need to know". The Times of India. 15 January 2020. Retrieved 15 January 2020.
|This military article about the Indian Armed Forces is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|