24 April 1944|
Lucknow, British India
|Died||25 July 2013
|Relatives||Uma Nehru (grandmother)
Shyam Kumari Khan (aunt)
Arun Nehru (24 April 1944 – 25 July 2013) was an Indian politician and columnist. He was member of the 9th Lok Sabha from Bilhaur as a Janata Dal leader. Earlier, he was member of the 7th and 8th Lok Sabhas from Rae Bareli on an Indian National Congress ticket.
Arun Nehru was born in Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh, and had worked in business for 17 years, from the age of 20, before he entered politics. He was president of the Jenson and Nicholson group at the time when Prime Minister Indira Gandhi persuaded him to change career. As a representative of the Indian National Congress (INC), Nehru was a member of Parliament in the 7th Lok Sabha (1980–84) and 8th Lok Sabha (1984-89). Aside from sitting on various consultative committees during this time, he was Union Minister of State for Energy (December 1984—September 1985,) and for Home Affairs (September 1985—October 1986). Later, he left the INC for Janata Dal and was elected to the 9th Lok Sabha, where he was Union Minister for Commerce and Tourism (December–November 1990).
During his tenure as minister in the Home department in 1985-86, he was allegedly involved in the Czech pistol case, where a deal with the Czechoslovakian firm Merkuria Foreign Trade Corp. had resulted in a loss of around ₹2.5 million (US$38,000). A 20-year investigation by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) led to submission of a report in 2007. This found no incriminating evidence. The trial court, however, rejected the CBI report and found Nehru's involvement enough to continue the proceedings. In March 2013, the Supreme Court stayed those proceedings, based on the report.
Nehru was born on 24 April 1944. His father was Anand Kumar Nehru, a member of the Nehru-Gandhi family. He studied at La Martinière Boys College, Lucknow, and Lucknow Christian College. He was married in 1967 to Subhadra and had two daughters. He died on 25 July 2013 in Gurgaon.
|Nehru-Gandhi family tree|
- "Arun Nehru, former Union minister, dies". The Times of India. 25 July 2013. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Lok Sabha Member's Bioprofile". Retrieved 16 February 2012.
- "From the corporate world to politics". The Hindu. 26 July 2013. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "1988 pistol deal: Court to hear arguments on charge sheet". Zee News. PTI. 4 March 2013. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "SC stays trial in Rajiv-era Czech pistol purchase scam". Times of India. 23 March 2013. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Czech pistol case: Court summons former Union Minister Arun Nehru". NDTV. 2 September 2012. Retrieved 26 July 2013.
- "Arun Nehru Bio". Parliament of India. Retrieved 27 July 2013.
- "Former union minister and Congress leader Arun Nehru passes away". Deccan Chronicle. PTI. 25 July 2013. Retrieved 25 July 2013.